updating issues RRS feed

• Question

• the status on my onecare is fair, it is telling me that I need to visit the website to get updates. when I do this, the website tells me that I need to visit the onecare websiste for a mac.

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.

To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

However I do not have a mac. I use XP.  I have had onecare since august and have not had any problems until not. 

How do I fix this?

Thanks

<

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:55 PM

Answers

• I encountered the same problem while simply attempting to get into the Microsoft Windows Update website...I contacted MWU support and they solved my problem with this Email:

"From the problem description, I understand that you were redirected to the MAC website when trying to update via Windows Update website. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. Please be assured that I will try my best to help you with the issue.

Please understand that the issue may occur due to third party programs affected or incorrect registry key; lets refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it.

Step 1: Reset Internet Explorer (IE)

====================

For Internet Explorer 7.0:

1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Switch to the Advanced tab.

3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.

4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.

5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.

6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

7. Click Apply, click OK.

Step 2: Backup the Registry

=====================

As we need to modify some registry keys to troubleshoot this issue, lets perform the following steps to backup the current Registry first.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and click OK.

2. Select My Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose "All" under Export range, Select Desktop in the Save in box, type backup in File Name, and then click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file. After we have completed the troubleshooting and the issue has been resolved, we can delete this file.

3. Close the Registry Editor.

Step 3: Modify the Registry

=======================

1. Click Start, click Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK.

2. Go to the following Registry batch by clicking the PLUS (+) sign.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

3. Delete the User Agent key in the above two locations (if present)

4. After completing the above steps, please restart the computer and try to run Windows Update again."

As I stated at the beginning, this is a copy of the instructions given to me by the MS Support team.  I hope this works...if not, I would suggest you contact the Microsoft Windows Update Support people at http://support.microsoft.com/ . Good Luck!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:09 PM

All replies

• Well, that's a new one for me! I moved your post to the Tune-up topic since you are having a problem with Windows Update and OneCare, which is part of Tune-up.

It sounds like visiting the Windows Update site is causing your system to not be seen as running XP.

Can you tell me more about the PC? What is the manufacturer and model of the computer?

Can you go to this site directly in your browser? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

What happens when you click on that address?

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:53 PM
  • When I click on the link it tells me again that this site does not support Mac.  same mmessage as above. I have a Dell inspiron I6400 laptop, the operating system is XP with service pac 2 if that makes a difference. It has been doing updates fine up until last week.

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:16 PM
  • That is truly strange.

What web browser is set to be your default browser?

I don't what else to suggest except to start here - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 - for some possible help or to contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Thanks steve,

My default web browswe in internet explorer, I occasionally use MSN but it is not my default.

I will try the links you gave me and i will keep you posted on what I find out.

Thanks

Vickie

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:39 AM
  • I did a search and found a few forum discussions on this problem.

The most common solution, that didn't always work, was to delete cookies and temporary Internet files in IE, close the browser, and then try again.

Other solutions seem to involve making registry changes, which I would only recommend if you are comfortable with this. There is support available for Internet Explorer and Windows Update issues, plus you can go to OneCare support as a starting point.

This link contains the most possible solutions that I found so far:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/archive/index.php/index.php?t-100315.html

I was particularly interested in the last post in the thread, from last October, noting that a program had modified the string used by IE to identify itself to site.

Another common cause of the problem was having two firewall enabled at the same time (you should only have OneCare's firewall active).

Good luck to you!

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:13 PM
  • I encountered the same problem while simply attempting to get into the Microsoft Windows Update website...I contacted MWU support and they solved my problem with this Email:

"From the problem description, I understand that you were redirected to the MAC website when trying to update via Windows Update website. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. Please be assured that I will try my best to help you with the issue.

Please understand that the issue may occur due to third party programs affected or incorrect registry key; lets refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it.

Step 1: Reset Internet Explorer (IE)

====================

For Internet Explorer 7.0:

1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Switch to the Advanced tab.

3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.

4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.

5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.

6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

7. Click Apply, click OK.

Step 2: Backup the Registry

=====================

As we need to modify some registry keys to troubleshoot this issue, lets perform the following steps to backup the current Registry first.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and click OK.

2. Select My Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose "All" under Export range, Select Desktop in the Save in box, type backup in File Name, and then click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file. After we have completed the troubleshooting and the issue has been resolved, we can delete this file.

3. Close the Registry Editor.

Step 3: Modify the Registry

=======================

1. Click Start, click Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK.

2. Go to the following Registry batch by clicking the PLUS (+) sign.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

3. Delete the User Agent key in the above two locations (if present)

4. After completing the above steps, please restart the computer and try to run Windows Update again."

As I stated at the beginning, this is a copy of the instructions given to me by the MS Support team.  I hope this works...if not, I would suggest you contact the Microsoft Windows Update Support people at http://support.microsoft.com/ . Good Luck!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Thanks for sharing this, Kevin. I was surprised at how widespread this was while trying to find a solution. This is good information.

-steve

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:28 PM
  • You are welcome Steve,

I'm glad I keep all those "Support Emails" from various support issues I've had over the years.

I hope this solves several people's problems.

Kevin

Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:40 AM
  • Tried the solution you were given by MWU. In my case it did not help.

I did not have the problem until I updated Windows Live OneCare with my subscription renewal.  

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:37 PM
  •  WaimeaB wrote:

Tried the solution you were given by MWU. In my case it did not help.

I did not have the problem until I updated Windows Live OneCare with my subscription renewal.  

The renewal and your problem with WU would be unrelated. I recommend that you contact support via the Windows Update Solution center for you problem if the above fix did not help your case

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Steve,

Ran the above solution again after I ran a supported registry cleaner and reinstalled optional services. Second time was the charm. Resetting Internet Explorer settings seems to be the key. I had deleted the two keys mentioned above several days before.

However, the "runonce..." site loaded with errors on the page and keeps reloading even after manually customizing my settings.

Joan

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:09 PM
  • I'm glad that you were able to resolve it. I assume that the "runonce..." issue is also resolved? If you simply set your Home page as desired, you shouldn't need t worry about that page/script.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:38 AM
  • "Runonce..." issue not resolved yet but I haven't restart my computer since resolving the update issue. I decided to take a break from resolving issues on this laptop which started with a "blue screen of death" and an "NTLDR" missing message. The "runonce" page loads with errors and never completes the customizing process.

Joan

Update: "runonce" issue resolved posted to appropriate forum thread.

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:12 AM