WHS in a small school: some questions... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hey, this WHS thing looks really good. I’m liking what I c so far.

Seems ideal for a small school especially if it can be used for remote access for admin work.

Re Questions about WHS… could u answer these 4 me?

WHS can be accessed remotely, but how? We have a domain name already. Does it use DynDNS or similar?

Why the limit of 12 PCs? We would probably prefer 15.

Will Skype work on / thru WHS? I want to run it on the WHS box at home and on client machines at school.

Will iTunes work on WHS? Again, this is for home use as I want to use WHS as a server + media station + skype station.

Will WHS be able to run Apache + MySQL + PHP for web development?

Will there be parental controls built in as per Vista? This would be much better than having to configure every machine on the network individually.

Many thanks!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:10 PM

Answers

•  Robo wrote:

Hi,

Seems ideal for a small school especially if it can be used for remote access for admin work.

WHS can be accessed remotely, but how? We have a domain name already. Does it use DynDNS or similar?

You can either use dyndns or no-ip.com. Any of these will work. You are going to need to forward your ports, 80 (optional) port 443 and port 4125. or use UPnP. Or you can use WHS livenode.com.

This is really mean for the average household. I don't know anyone that has over 5 properly working PC that is being use all the time. Maybe WHS is not the right solution for you. You should seek Windows 2003 SBS  

Will Skype work on / thru WHS? I want to run it on the WHS box at home and on client machines at school.

Skype will work on a client pc. If you mean running as a service, your guess it's good as mine...

Will iTunes work on WHS? Again, this is for home use as I want to use WHS as a server + media station + skype station.

FireFly is suppose to better. See this thread. Other things...sorry can't help you. 

Again, sorry. I can't help you. Please try the search function.

Will there be parental controls built in as per Vista? This would be much better than having to configure every machine on the network individually.

Not that I am aware of.

Many thanks!

You're welcome

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:41 PM
  •  Robo wrote:

• WHS has a dynamic DNS client built in. Right now it's tied to livenode.com, which is under the Microsoft Live umbrella. There should be additional domains available at launch.
    • The limit is 10, not 12, client PCs, and it's apparently a hard limit. WHS is intended for use in a home environment, anyway. It's likely that there are homes out there with more than 10 PCs, but they will be extremely rare.
    • End user applications in general are going to be problems on WHS. This includes Skype, iTunes, etc. WHS isn't intended as another desktop PC in your home; it's intended to be a headless server appliance. There are ways to accomplish at least some of what you're looking for, though. For example you could run FireFly to serve up AAC files.
    • Apache/etc: You can probably install them. However, you're going to find the WHS architecture limiting, I bet. Your system partition (CSmile is only 10 GB, and you shouldn't interact with the file system anywhere else.
    • Parental controls won't be built in for V1, certainly. It's possible that something like that will be added for V2. You should check on Connect for any related suggestions and vote.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:20 AM

All replies

•  Robo wrote:

Hi,

You can either use dyndns or no-ip.com. Any of these will work. You are going to need to forward your ports, 80 (optional) port 443 and port 4125. or use UPnP. Or you can use WHS livenode.com.

This is really mean for the average household. I don't know anyone that has over 5 properly working PC that is being use all the time. Maybe WHS is not the right solution for you. You should seek Windows 2003 SBS  

Skype will work on a client pc. If you mean running as a service, your guess it's good as mine...

FireFly is suppose to better. See this thread. Other things...sorry can't help you. 

Again, sorry. I can't help you. Please try the search function.

Not that I am aware of.

Many thanks!

You're welcome

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:41 PM
  •  Robo wrote:

• WHS has a dynamic DNS client built in. Right now it's tied to livenode.com, which is under the Microsoft Live umbrella. There should be additional domains available at launch.
    • The limit is 10, not 12, client PCs, and it's apparently a hard limit. WHS is intended for use in a home environment, anyway. It's likely that there are homes out there with more than 10 PCs, but they will be extremely rare.
    • End user applications in general are going to be problems on WHS. This includes Skype, iTunes, etc. WHS isn't intended as another desktop PC in your home; it's intended to be a headless server appliance. There are ways to accomplish at least some of what you're looking for, though. For example you could run FireFly to serve up AAC files.
    • Apache/etc: You can probably install them. However, you're going to find the WHS architecture limiting, I bet. Your system partition (CSmile is only 10 GB, and you shouldn't interact with the file system anywhere else.
    • Parental controls won't be built in for V1, certainly. It's possible that something like that will be added for V2. You should check on Connect for any related suggestions and vote.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Ok, thanks 4 that guys. I am following up on your comments!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:30 PM