Live Mesh is just too slow and too much of a system hog RRS feed

• General discussion

• Let me start by saying that I absolutely love Live Mesh and have been using it for 6 months or so.
    I also installed it on my WinMo phone.

I recently put a lot of data temporarily on my laptop into the folder that normally gets synced to the Mesh. Because I couldn't afford to clog my internet with Live Mesh trying to sync 6GB of data (or whatever portion of that), I simply closed the Mesh client on my computer.
    And I have had it off for at least 2 weeks now.

The laptop is SO MUCH FASTER that I am sad to say that I will likely NOT BE USING MESH on it again unless MS can REALLY SPEED this software up.
    The difference feels like going from a 2 year old PC to a modern computer.
    If Live Mesh clogged up 10% of my resources, i.e. slowed down my laptop by 10%, I would only be surprised that it isn't more.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Ivar,

Do you have any logs from the computer that the team could analyse to determine why it is so slow? I've been running it on one of my work machines which has extremely bad specs and is constantly paging to disk, and I don't see a significant difference when the client is closed.

Thinking out loud here: is there a possibility that older clients left around some "dirtyness" that is causing this behaviour? If so, could it be cleaned up by an unistall / reinstall cycle or manually - or would it actually require a reinstall?

Cheers,

Oren
    Friday, January 23, 2009 2:27 AM
  • I will gladly send my logs to the team.

I don't think that there are any bad installs "left over".

I will gladly try re-installing though.

Friday, January 23, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Well - without that Error I would have sent the logfiles ... but I guess I cannot.

Opens the CMD windows, runs through endless percentages (for minutes) ... then Error: ... and the window closes.

No log file on the desktop.

Friday, January 23, 2009 2:50 AM
  • What is the error?
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:30 AM
  • I would gladly tell you what the error is ... if the window didn't close immediately.

As soon as it says error, everything is gone.

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Hi Ivar,

Best way to figure out what the error is to do the following:

1. open a cmd window (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    2. cd c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\
    3. CollectMoeLogs.bat

This does essentially the same thing as clicking on the link from the menu, but it won't close the screen, so you'll be able to see any errors and paste them in here.

If you're on vista the paths will be a bit different (c:\users\<username>) but the process is the same.

Cheers for trying to get the logs,

Oren
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:33 AM