Installing WHS 2011 on Adaptec 1420SA HBA RRS feed

• Question

1. Is it possible?
    2. What driver level do I want from the manufacturer? Windows Server 2003 or 2008? x86 or x64?
    3. If it's not possible, can I install on a single drive first, then add the hardware array?
    4. If I am supposed to add the RAID HBA later, how does the driver get installed in the OS? If the OS can't read the drive without a driver, how can I get to the OS to add the driver?

I couldn't find this information anywhere else on the boards. It was particularly troubling not to be able to find out the driver level--obviously most vendors aren't going to list a driver exclusively for WHS, and knowing whether it's 64-bit or just 32-bit is kinda important, right?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give...

Noel Stanford Oveson
    jeremyNLSO
    CNE, CLSE, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Berlin, Germany
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:19 AM

All replies

• Under the skin, Windows Home Server 2011 is Windows Server 2008 R2 (information which is all over these forums), so drivers for that OS will be preferable. But I would encourage you to not use RAID, unless you have a requirement for high availability.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:30 PM

I couldn't find this information anywhere else on the boards. It was particularly troubling not to be able to find out the driver level--obviously most vendors aren't going to list a driver exclusively for WHS, and knowing whether it's 64-bit or just 32-bit is kinda important, right?

WHS2011 is 64-bit only.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:04 PM