Windows 7 Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Strange title, but ever since Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 last month (January), their January security patches have caused Money 2004 to act differently. The program opens and closes OK, but whenever I import an ofx file, Money acknowledges the file as usual, but I get an error message saying the file (or parts of the file) could not be saved.

So far, the only thing that is affected is the available balance in the upper left corner of the register page. It reads $1.00 instead of the matching the bank's balance. The running balance is unaffected.

Has anyone else running Windows 7 experienced anything like this of late?

I thought about reinstalling Money 2004, but I am worried that it might not reinstall properly.

Regards

Friday, February 27, 2015 8:32 PM

All replies

• If nobody else has your symptom, here is an idea.

Create a new file in Money 2004, and import that same OFX file. If that works, maybe a file repair would work. If not, maybe the OFX file is not quite right. You could install  a newer version of Money on a different computer and see how that works.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:40 AM
  • I tried your first option, but nothing changed.

I'll try the second option soon.

I assume Money's days are numbered? I mean, it looks as if there is only so much a person can do to make it run on newer operating systems.

Regards

Thursday, March 5, 2015 11:43 PM
  • That is a downloaded balance.

Friday, March 6, 2015 1:17 AM
  • As Cal noted, most folks have no issues with running Money on Windows 7 or on Windows 8.1 for that matter.  But I suspect that most folks are also running the most recent version of Money, - see:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Maybe someone who is running Money 2004 (US?, UK?) will respond with their experience.

Bill Becker

Friday, March 6, 2015 1:20 AM
  • Money 2004 ran well on Windows 7 until the January updates were released. These updates not only affected Money, but they caused some irregularities with the operating system too - such as resetting my tray icons (next to the clock) to the defaults, and Windows 7, save-as box, has problems remembering which size icons I last used.

I'm worried Microsoft is trying to sour the milk here, so users will migrate to versions 8 or 10, and ditch 7.

For what it's worth, my brother's 7 system is experiencing the same icon problems too.

Regards

Saturday, March 7, 2015 2:58 AM
  • I believe my Windows 7 to be up to date and Money 99 is still running fine and I am not experiencing the icon issues you mention.
    Saturday, March 7, 2015 4:52 AM
  • Followup...

After much toil on another 7 machine (Toshiba laptop), I think I may have found the culprit.

I have been using a program called Free Registry Defrag 3.0 ever since my XP days, and I carried it over to Windows 7, but after reinstalling 7 on a laptop, running Defrag 3.0 caused my tray icons to disappear.

Evidently, there was something about Microsoft's January security patches that did not jive with Defrag 3.0.

Remember the botched security update that had to be removed, and shortly thereafter Microsoft released a replacement patch?

Anyway, I have since removed this program since I doubt 7 even needs a registry defragger. How to fix this problem is beyond me at the moment outside of a system recovery.

Regards

Saturday, April 18, 2015 1:48 AM