none
Expanding the Search Options in the Forum

Question

• What I was looking for was some way to apply the 'Google Style' search options like using the minus sign to exclude items:
    "Diamond Rings" -square -gold -sterling etc.

Having an expanded search option like where we could indicate that we want two words in proximity in a search like "Pay Steps" would elminate a million posts where the word "Pay" was used but didn't relate to Pay Steps.

In a previous post on the Dynamics GP Forum the response was that this type of enhanced search option was 'impossible' so I wanted to find a way to escalate this discussion. There doesn't seem to be a 'right' place to post this as I can't find a Forum on Microsoft Forums in general. So this thread was originally posted in the Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum but the moderator suggests this would be a better forum for this discussion on enhancing the search functionality and usefulness.

Mike Lupro - Microsoft Dynamics GP Consultant

Mike Lupro - MCP
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:48 AM

All replies

• As of this morning there have been 767 views on this positing and zero replies.  I originally posted this question on the Microsoft Dynamics GP forum.  The moderator suggested that I removed it from the GP forum and repost it here as a more appropriate location for the question.  It's now three weeks later.  There is clearly some interest in this question with 767 views but there is NOT A SINGLE REPLY from anyone - not even the moderator of this forum.  So I'm updating the question in the hope that an update will pop the question up to the top of a list somewhere and to the attention of someone who can deal with it.

Mike Lupro - MCP
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:10 PM
  • What I was looking for was some way to apply the 'Google Style' search options like using the minus sign to exclude items:

Why do you think this doesn't already exist?   I didn't think it was worth my time trying your example in the forum you mentioned.   <eg>

Post a real example if you are looking for some help?

---

Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:20 AM
  • I provided an example in my first posting:  Try to search using a two-word set - it doesn't limit the search to the two-word string.

Having an expanded search option where we could indicate that we want two words (both words) in proximity in a search like "Pay Steps" will not currently elminate a million posts where the word "Pay" was used or where Steps was used.  Most of the results did not related to the two-word combo of "Pay Steps".  Pay+Steps doesn't work.  'Pay Steps' doesn't work.  etc.

If you know of a way to limit a search to what I am looking for I would be grateful for the trick.  Nothing I've tried has worked. 

And that's just one of the problems I have with how the search function (doesn't) work.  I might want to find all the postings for Steps where the word Pay is not in the post.  In Google I would use a search as Diamond Rings -Gold and it would take out all the postings for where the ring was gold.

Mike Lupro - MCP
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Forum Moderator:

Could I get a useful response to this old inquiry please?  The question has over 3900 hits so it is a topic of interest to the group at large.

Thank you,

Mike.

Mike Lupro - MCP
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Looking back at this unanwered post (and useless response) I noticed your MVP tag.  Your response was the least useful MVP reply I've ever experienced and you should keep these types of comments out of the forum if you want your MVP tag to carry any weight.  If you don't have something useful to post then you should post nothing at all.
    Mike Lupro - MCP
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Try to search using a two-word set - it doesn't limit the search to the two-word string.

It works as expected for me.   YMMV.

Real example:

Tried searching for  lupro in the Dynamics forums.   No hits but that found that a meta tag was being used to filter hits to a forum "Groupid."   This proves that only certain data is indexed on those forums when that meta tag is used.   So perhaps some of the data eliminated would be words which look like they would be in spam posts (which would probably be deleted soon anyway and thus pollute the index if they were kept).

So I searched for  junk with that instead.

That showed that  "email router"  was used in highly relevant posts which contained the word junk.

But when I added  "email router"  to my filtered search (instead of junk) I got all kinds of hits with that "phrase" in a thread's title.  Finding the phrase in thread titles like that might be less convincing that searches by phrase worked than finding it in a post's content.

So I constructed this search to eliminate those:

"email router" meta:Search.MSForums.GroupID(f183dfd3-b7a9-42dc-8c8e-ef37930880ce) site:microsoft.com -intitle:email -intitle:router

Unfortunately neither BING nor Google provide for applying a search term attribute to a phrase, only individual words.

In any case, I think the result will be posts which contain the phrase "email router", probably some of which contain the word junk too but not ones which contain either of those words in the title.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:09 PM