program keys RRS feed

• General discussion

• with microsoft new bitlocker program. i will like to see it integrated with home server. why. well its really easy. in case your cd / dvd is lost your home server can connect to microsoft and during low network usage times ,such as late at night, and download the software and store it on the server.  this will prevent alot of piracy issuses and others . how will this help reduce piracy well for one the format at which the software can be downloaded could be in a different format than a burnable format. also installation of the software can only be done via the homeserver with a valid encryption key on both dvd and home server. this will help make life so much easier for both home users , since the cd could be launch and all the pc's in the house and isntallation will be streamed to each one. or even better yet the software should be installed on the server and then each user on the home network can connect to the server and then launch the application

just my 2 cents..

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:27 AM

All replies

• I believe you are mistaken about BitLocker. BitLocker does not download software if you you lose it. There is a feature called Digital Locker which is used when you buy software off of the Windows Marketplace and that stores the download and your product key. BitLocker is Drive Encryption technology that is built into Windows Vista and is used to encrypt your hard drive. For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker_Drive_Encryption and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_locker
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:50 AM
  • haha. yeah thanks i was talking about digital locker program not bitlocker.. .but since bitlocker is up i have a question about this.. does bitlocker come with homeserver. this is particular important since all information will basically be on the home server. and extra amount of protection does not hurt even if all backups will be encrypted i think the entire file system should be encrypted if possible. 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:39 PM