none
Answers forums not available through NNTP bridge RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using NNTP bridge to read answers forums. Unfortunately none of the
    Office related forums seem to be available this way. Only xp, vista, w7 and
    some others are listed. I have done refreshs of group lists.

What is the status?

--

Peter Doering [MVP Access]

HTH - Peter
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:53 AM

Answers

• My NR is 40tude Dialog,

That could be your problem.   Try using  OE or WLMail  instead.   <eg>

FYI  there are some very long gaps in the transmission of the LIST so I wouldn't be surprised if some newsreaders might decide they had it all without the final .  and thus truncated your list before the name that you want.

To check that idea you could use  telnet -f telnet.txt localhost  119  and issue a  LIST  command to it.

FWIW  when I do that here is what I see:

C:\>find /i /n "addbuz"  telnet.txt

---------- TELNET.TXT
    [1214]Answers.en-US.addbuz 1 718 y

So, are you getting at least 1214 listed?   ; )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:58 PM

;-P

Actually I did try WLM and I did get the missing groups (!!) So I dug my heels in and found ...

FYI  there are some very long gaps in the transmission of the LIST so I wouldn't be surprised if some newsreaders might decide they had it all without the final .  and thus truncated your list before the name that you want.

... exactly this same result: Timing.

The NNTP bridge doesn't have the reputation of being utterly fast, and 4D considers the import of group lists as single task by server, with a standard timeout of 15 sec. I had to double the timeout 2 times, to 30 then 60 sec, and just below 60 sec the download finished.

My problem is solved. :-)

Thanks for helping, also to Jeff.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:08 PM

All replies

•  

I'm using NNTP bridge to read answers forums. Unfortunately none of the
    Office related forums seem to be available this way.

It may help if you post the URL that you are trying to find the equivalent of.

FWIW  I am subscribed to   Technet.en-US.outlook  through the bridge and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

online.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:20 PM
  • It may help if you post the URL that you are trying to find the equivalent of.

Good point. Example:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

"Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Forums > Additional Microsoft Office Products Forums > Microsoft Office for Business Users: Visio, Project, and Access" is not visible on NNTP Bridge.

FWIW  I am subscribed to   Technet.en-US.outlook  through the bridge and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

online.

So am I, plus plenty of beta and msdn forums. Inside the answers.en-US.* hierarchy Windows XP, Vista and 7 as well as a few others like IE are visible. My question refers to answers.en-US.Office* (I don't know if the path is right).
    HTH - Peter
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:26 PM
  • It may help if you post the URL that you are trying to find the equivalent of.

Good point. Example:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

"Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Forums > Additional Microsoft Office Products Forums > Microsoft Office for Business Users: Visio, Project, and Access" is not visible on NNTP Bridge.

It's there.   Which newsreader are you using?   FYI in OE and spawn you could find it by pressing Ctrl-w and typing some of the (case-sensitive) letters you would like to match.

Hmm... looks like WLMail has changed that.  I tried  S uz  and it matched more than OE would have.  ; )

If you still can't find it, I would suggest doing a Reset List  for the full list of "newsgroups".

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Robert,

If it's there, what is the NNTP name of this forum?

My NR is 40tude Dialog, and I've done plenty of refreshs of group listings. In a similar issue with Connect forums the support team at Connect did some kind of reset of my account, and after that, with the next refresh of group lists, I received all missing groups (forums).

I suspect a similar issue, and my first way took me there, but they said they weren't dealing with Answers, so they coulnd't help. The challenge seems to be finding the right support team to push this button.

Thanks - Peter

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Hi Peter,

The easiest way to find a forum in the NNTP Bridge is to locate the forum name within the URL.  In this case the URL is http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads.  The forum name follows the lang/locale.  In this case it is 'addbuz'. 

This forum is available via the NNTP bridge. 

Hope this helps!
    Thanks!
    JEFFWI

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:27 PM

To check that idea you could use  telnet -f telnet.txt localhost  119  and issue a  LIST  command to it.

FWIW  when I do that here is what I see:

C:\>find /i /n "addbuz"  telnet.txt

---------- TELNET.TXT
    [1214]Answers.en-US.addbuz 1 718 y

So, are you getting at least 1214 listed?   ; )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:58 PM

;-P

Actually I did try WLM and I did get the missing groups (!!) So I dug my heels in and found ...

... exactly this same result: Timing.

The NNTP bridge doesn't have the reputation of being utterly fast, and 4D considers the import of group lists as single task by server, with a standard timeout of 15 sec. I had to double the timeout 2 times, to 30 then 60 sec, and just below 60 sec the download finished.

My problem is solved. :-)

Thanks for helping, also to Jeff.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:08 PM