How to sync three separate databases used by three different client apps? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

Here's the problem:

I got an assignment from my professor to demonstrate the use of Microsoft Sync Framework by doing this stuff:

1. Create three databases that are basically the same (i.e. all of them contain the same table, for example 'Users')
    2. Create three different client applications. One should be a Windows Forms application that uses one of the created databases, and the other two should be APS.NET WebSites that use the other two databases respectively.
    3. Every application should have a basic means of inserting (and getting) data to/from it's own database, and every change to that database should be reflected (synchronized) into the other two databases so that the other application can see those changes right away.
    I know that this sounds silly because I could just create one database and use that same database from every application, but this is how I have to do it.
    First of all, I have to say that this is my first time ever to deal with Microsoft Sync Framework (MSF) so I have no idea even whether it's possible to achieve this using MSF or not.

So, essentially what I'm asking you is:
    1. Is it possible to make this work?
    2. How difficult is it to achieve?
    3. I know that you can't teach me about this by posting comments in this forum so I'm asking you to share with me links to resources such as tutorials, demonstrations, videos, blogs or whatever, that most closely deal with this subject so I can read through and learn.
    Thank you very, very much for your help! :)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:06 AM

All replies

• yes its possible. the scenario you're looking at is what MSF would classify as peer-to-peer or collaboration scenario.

if you download the SDK, you can take a look at the SharingAppDemo-CEProviderEndToEnd sample. The only catch is that the first DB in the sample has to be either in SQL Server or SQL Express but you can create/provision multiple SQL Compact (sdf) databases from it and you can sync them all together.

check out the collaboration scenario at : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902853(v=SQL.105).aspx

• Edited by JuneT Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by JuneT Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:34 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Thank you so much, I'll check it out! :)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Thank you so much, I'll check it out! :)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:43 AM