OneCare Backup fails with OS Hang RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 installed, also all current updates are installed

I use Windows Live OneCare for my backups.

I purchased a SeaGate FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB external drive to replace a Western Digital 320GB external drive for my backups and to hold all my pictures to get them off my laptops internal drive.

When I run a full backup for my Vista Laptop after it runs for more then 4-5 hours before it just dies (of course this happens when I am in bed sleeping). The last time I tried the full backup I also had Windows Reliability and Performance program running. I looked in the Reliability Monitor and found the following entries under Windows Failures:

Failure Type: OS Stopped working

Version: 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

Failure Detail: 0x0000001a (0x00000030, 0x87efb100, 0xb9320000, 0x80cc0f8c)

Date: 4/26/2009

Failure Type: OS Stopped Working

Version: 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

Failure Detail: 0x0000009f (0x00000003, 0x877a6030, 0x877a6030, 0x84a2f3f0)

Date: 4/26/2009

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    I have posted this question on the seagate forums and I am also going to go to the windows forums and see if I can find a solution there.

Again Thank You in advance for any help.

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:25 PM

Answers

• That's a memory management error, often due to hardware such as bad RAM, a weak power supply or other items that can aggravate memory.

This could include overheating since this will place stress on the RAM devices and/or power supply.

It's also possible this could be triggered by something like the operating system switching into hibernation or sleep and then crashing as it comes out of that mode.  Look first at the timing and possible external triggers and then try hardware diagnostics if required.

Actually, I just checked the second error above and that specifically relates to putting a Vista-based computer to sleep with an active PPP connection, so turning off any sleep options during the backup may be worth trying first, since that may be inducing the other error.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931671

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• That's a memory management error, often due to hardware such as bad RAM, a weak power supply or other items that can aggravate memory.

This could include overheating since this will place stress on the RAM devices and/or power supply.

It's also possible this could be triggered by something like the operating system switching into hibernation or sleep and then crashing as it comes out of that mode.  Look first at the timing and possible external triggers and then try hardware diagnostics if required.

Actually, I just checked the second error above and that specifically relates to putting a Vista-based computer to sleep with an active PPP connection, so turning off any sleep options during the backup may be worth trying first, since that may be inducing the other error.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931671

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:37 PM
  • I had turned sleep mode off. I will be trying it one more time tonight to see if it stops at the same point. I will make sure that the sleep mode is turned off before I start.

Do you think I should turn off my screen saver?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:22 PM
  • The Screen Saver should have no effect.

In your power management settings, check for things like selective USB suspend and also the hard drive power down settings.

If you continue to have a problem with backup, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:57 PM