Other Software on Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to set up a Home Server and would like to use WHS as it looks reasonably easy to use as we are not very IT literate.

Is it possible to also run other software on this machine (as it will be on 24/7)
    In particular we have a program running to monitor our solar power generation and another to monitor home power usage.

I was not sure if WHS had the capacity to allow these to be loadedand to run.

Thanks in advance

Shane,
    Sydney Australia

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:40 PM

Answers

• I use VirtualBox on my WHS 2011 server and have a Windows XP Guest that is running my weather software that records what my weather station is reading, so yes, it is definitely doable to have you WHS2011 doing more than one task.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com

• Marked as answer by Pheasantsnest Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:19 PM
  • I use VirtualBox on my WHS 2011 server and have a Windows XP Guest that is running my weather software that records what my weather station is reading, so yes, it is definitely doable to have you WHS2011 doing more than one task.
    You can also do it the other way around -- have WHS running in a virtual machine. I do it with a Windows 7 host and VMWare Server, but I am planning to move to a Windows 8 host and Hyper-V.

I put the files of the virtual WHS in an external eSata RAID 1 enclosure, so the whole WHS (OS, shares and backups) is protected against single disk failure. Another advantage is that I do not install any software in the WHS, so there is no risk of incompatiblities.

I only have a single disk WHS system though; with more disks it is not quite so simple. Also, I use WHS v1. Also, I do not store video in my WHS. My host is my HTPC, and I store my Recorded TV in a dedicated disk on the host.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Pheasantsnest Friday, January 18, 2013 9:56 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:12 AM

All replies

http://www.wwiivehicles.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:19 PM
  • Thank you very much.
    I will checkout VirtualBox

Shane

• Unmarked as answer by Pheasantsnest Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:13 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:15 AM
    You can also do it the other way around -- have WHS running in a virtual machine. I do it with a Windows 7 host and VMWare Server, but I am planning to move to a Windows 8 host and Hyper-V.

I put the files of the virtual WHS in an external eSata RAID 1 enclosure, so the whole WHS (OS, shares and backups) is protected against single disk failure. Another advantage is that I do not install any software in the WHS, so there is no risk of incompatiblities.

I only have a single disk WHS system though; with more disks it is not quite so simple. Also, I use WHS v1. Also, I do not store video in my WHS. My host is my HTPC, and I store my Recorded TV in a dedicated disk on the host.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Pheasantsnest Friday, January 18, 2013 9:56 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:12 AM