Windows 7 OEM Elgible For Upgrade Use RRS feed

• Question

• I have an XP computer that I want to erase/format the HDD and do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM edition. The computer is fully compatible with Windows 7. My concern is that will the "Windows 7 Not Genuine" popup be a problem further down the road. I am currently having that problem with  my computer I bought retail new with Windows 7 pre-installed. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank-You. 
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:02 PM

Answers

• It's not been sold by MS since the release of Windows 8 - some retailers may still have copies, and some people may be selling second-hand copies.

Be VERY careful if you do go that route, and run an MGADiag report as soon as it's installed - there are way too many counterfeits on the market, so only source from a trusted place, and check and check again!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

• Marked as answer by MikeyDLT Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:48 AM
    Saturday, April 5, 2014 9:18 AM

All replies

• So long as the License is a full OEM System Builder one, then it will be OK - although it's in technical breach of the licensing rules, no-one is likely to chase it.

The problem will come if this machine dies, since OEM Licenses cannot be moved between computers for any reason, and there are limited opportunities for changing the motherboard.

Personally, I'd prefer to use a Retail license on a machine as old as this one is likely to be. - at least then it could be moved to the next machine when this one dies.

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Thanks Noel, I thought Windows 7 was no longer being sold retail, if it was I would definitely buy it.
    Friday, April 4, 2014 10:43 PM
  • It's not been sold by MS since the release of Windows 8 - some retailers may still have copies, and some people may be selling second-hand copies.

Be VERY careful if you do go that route, and run an MGADiag report as soon as it's installed - there are way too many counterfeits on the market, so only source from a trusted place, and check and check again!

• Marked as answer by MikeyDLT Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:48 AM
    Saturday, April 5, 2014 9:18 AM