Recommended Motherboard & budget CPU for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

I was wondering if you had any recommendations for a new budget MATX motherboard & budget CPU that I can buy that will work well with WHS? - Obviously I would like on-board NIC & Graphics (I am going to be runnning WHS in an Antec Aria Cube case so space wil be pretty limited!)

Thanks

Ceri

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Ceri, I went with this bundle from Komplett:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313016

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 512M
    ABIT LG-95Z, I945GZ, Socket-775, m-ATX, SATAII, DDR2, LAN, Sound, VGA
    Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz Socket LGA775, 2MB

I had to buy a Gigabit NIC for the server but it has a 10/100 Mbit built in, I just needed a bit more speed Smile.
    As regards your choice for the case you might find a SFF case too limiting. I have a Shuttle 81P with MCE 2005 and with 750GB inside it dumping heat from the HDDs  is a problem (  I had to modify  the case radically)

Komplett are based in Europe but you should be able to source the same parts in North America easily.

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:39 PM
  • You can see here for the minimum hardware requirements.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Ceri, I went with this bundle from Komplett:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313016

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 512M
    ABIT LG-95Z, I945GZ, Socket-775, m-ATX, SATAII, DDR2, LAN, Sound, VGA
    Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz Socket LGA775, 2MB

I had to buy a Gigabit NIC for the server but it has a 10/100 Mbit built in, I just needed a bit more speed Smile.
    As regards your choice for the case you might find a SFF case too limiting. I have a Shuttle 81P with MCE 2005 and with 750GB inside it dumping heat from the HDDs  is a problem (  I had to modify  the case radically)

Komplett are based in Europe but you should be able to source the same parts in North America easily.

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:39 PM
  • You can see here for the minimum hardware requirements.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!.

I will take a look at that hardware you recommended.

I have some existing hardware running with 3 HDD's, so I haven't encountered any issues to date with overheating, however I dont have a GPU card or PCI cards installed, so that makes a difference. It is an updated version of the Aria which has heat dissipating features built into the Hard Drive cage which seem to work quite well (I have in the past owned older versions of the Aria which were hot!)

I have a 200Mbps Powerline network in my home (with my wiring it runs at around 120Mbps), so I only need a built in 100mbps NIC.

I do have an old Asrock socket 754 board and a Sempron CPU which I may try out - only problem is I ran Server 2003 on it before and it was pretty slow as a file server, so I am not sure it will run too well with WHS.

I am in the UK so shouldn't have a problem getting hold of the parts you recommended.

Cheers

Ceri

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:51 AM
  • I was debating building 2 WHSs that a business friend of mine could swap weekly to have cheap offsite backup.  I was playing on NewEgg and this was the cheapest I could get something I felt would reasonably handle this.  To be clear I haven't tested this yet, so I can't vouch for performance, but for straight backup, I really don't think speed matters much at all.

$130 Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD4000YS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$45  AMD Sempron 64 3000+ Palermo 1.8GHz Socket 754 Processor Model SDA3000BXBOX - Retail

$52  ASRock K8NF6G-VSTA Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce 6100-405 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$38 CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model VS512MB400 - Retail

$36 Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail

The total without shipping was $300.

I don't have a case in there as I'm debating building my own since I want something as small as possible and I don't need any extra space in it except for maybe 1 more harddrive eventually.

Either way, I was quite satisfied with the price, all the hardware seemed to have good reviews on newegg, and the warranties were all solid.

Just my 2cents.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:06 PM
  • I'm using an Apevia X-Qpack cube case, holding an Intel D945GCL micro ATX board, 2.66GHz Celeron D, and four 400GB SATA drives (WD Caviar)...the systems stays quite cool with the case lid on and the 120mm rear fan doing its thing.  If I take the lid off the hard drives hit 50C...with the cover on they cool down to 31C.  Pretty impressive...though the exhaust can be a bit warm. Wink

Here's the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144162

We've had really good luck with these cases, and the stock (admittedly cheap) power supplies have held up surprisingly well, I think I've had to replace two supplies out of at least 30 of these cubes that we've bought.  We have systems in these cases running 24/7 as point-of-sale terminal PC's in several regional grocery stores and as corporate desktops, we're really pleased with them.  It's working really well as a home server case, too.  The main hard drive caddy holds two drives, a third was shoehorned into the floppy spot and the fourth is in the bottom 5.25" bay in a bracket.  The top bay holds the DVD drive. 

If you want a small case that still cools well, the Apevia does a really good job.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:52 AM
  • You could cut $22 by switching to the Samsung 400GB drive.  It's not only cheaper, runs a little cooler and is nearly silent.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 7:40 AM