Vail Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a Dlink DSL-2730B modem router and cannot get remote access to work with Vail.

I have tried the UPNP and the no UPNP with port forwarding.

I have read threads from everywhere.

I believe i have tried everything, is it the modem/router???

Thanks

Ian

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:57 AM

Answers

• So here's the lesson i learned.

Just because the dashboard says there is no outside access there is still a chance that there is. You just cant try it from within your own network.

I had my dad access it from another state... it works.

Something to look into Microsoft?

Thanks for your help kariya21, but it seemed that it worked all along!!!

Ian

• Marked as answer by Needspeed Monday, June 28, 2010 5:22 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I have a Dlink DSL-2730B modem router and cannot get remote access to work with Vail.

I have tried the UPNP and the no UPNP with port forwarding.

I have read threads from everywhere.

I believe i have tried everything, is it the modem/router???

Thanks

Ian

It could be your ISP.  Go to Shields Up! and do a port scan for 80 and 443, then post the results here.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:23 AM
  • Both are open (red) all others are stealth (green)

Thanks

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Both are open (red) all others are stealth (green)

Thanks

Are you trying it from outside your LAN?  Some routers have issues with loopback requests and don't work properly when trying the website from inside your LAN.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:52 AM
  • So here's the lesson i learned.

Just because the dashboard says there is no outside access there is still a chance that there is. You just cant try it from within your own network.

I had my dad access it from another state... it works.

Thanks for your help kariya21, but it seemed that it worked all along!!!

Ian

• Marked as answer by Needspeed Monday, June 28, 2010 5:22 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:21 AM

No, it's a router issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:16 PM

No, it's a router issue.

Ken,

I disagree. My Vail control panel also shows router errors and says access is blocked; it works fine however. This is the same regardless if UPnP or port Forwarding is used... This problem did not exist with WHS V1.

I am a Systems Admin for a large corporation and would put money on there being something wrong with the way Vail is evaluating and controlling Remote Access...

Mark

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Mark, many consumer routers don't support a loopback connection. Any time you see someone say "I can't access http://myserver.homeserver.com from at home, but I can from <location x>." you have this issue, and it's nothing that Microsoft can fix. Some consumer routers will give a response that causes the browser to display an error, some return the router's configuration site, some do other things. Some even work. :)

Windows Home Server (V1 and now Vail) report an error if they can't connect using the vanity URL. This is a legitimate error, because a test didn't work, but it's misleading because the information being provided isn't complete enough for many users to determine that it's their router that's the source of the error, and not their server. There are also potentially external issues, which is why testing from off-site is urged when this particular issue comes up.

All that said, yes it's absolutely possible that there's some room for improvement here. The way to get that to happen is to submit a bug report on Connect, with as much detail as possible (router model, version, and firmware, ISP, any unusual configuration, DNS servers, etc.). I can't submit that bug for you; I have a Sonicwall SOHO router, which has no such issues.

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Mark, many consumer routers don't support a loopback connection. Any time you see someone say "I can't access http://myserver.homeserver.com from at home, but I can from <location x>." you have this issue, and it's nothing that Microsoft can fix. Some consumer routers will give a response that causes the browser to display an error, some return the router's configuration site, some do other things. Some even work. :)

Windows Home Server (V1 and now Vail) report an error if they can't connect using the vanity URL. This is a legitimate error, because a test didn't work, but it's misleading because the information being provided isn't complete enough for many users to determine that it's their router that's the source of the error, and not their server. There are also potentially external issues, which is why testing from off-site is urged when this particular issue comes up.

All that said, yes it's absolutely possible that there's some room for improvement here. The way to get that to happen is to submit a bug report on Connect , with as much detail as possible (router model, version, and firmware, ISP, any unusual configuration, DNS servers, etc.). I can't submit that bug for you; I have a Sonicwall SOHO router, which has no such issues.

Ken,

Noted. However, my router supports loop-back and I still get the error; I can also connect via the domain name without issues. As stated in my original post, this worked fine in WHS V1.

Mark

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Needspeed clearly fits the "router issue" description. If you can reach your server from inside your network using e.g. http://myserver.homeserver.com, ports 80 and 443 are open per a test using Shields Up! (or your preferred remote port scanning tool), and an error is reported, then you have a different issue, Mark. I think you should file that bug report I mentioned. :)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Concur on the loopback issue.  I was initially stymied as well (Netgear WNDR3700) when I got the new router and had re-established the home server after moving across the country.  The light bulb came on when I realized I could access the remote access web page through the local server IP address in the web browser, but not through the homeserver.com address.  The only way to make it work initially was to manually open the associated ports on the router.  Once I suspected the loop back I deleted the manual router entries, picked up my phone, typed in the homeserver address and voila!.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:53 PM