Tomorrows update ? RRS feed

• Question

• Since it is only one day away, can someone give some insight as to what the update includes?
    If it is top secret, NDA- only, then I can wait. But since it is mentioned on wegotserved's front page, I thought maybe a question here would not be inappropriate.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:32 PM

Answers

• What you see there is all the information Microsoft has released.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:11 PM

All replies

• What you see there is all the information Microsoft has released.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:11 PM
  • benogil said:

Since it is only one day away, can someone give some insight as to what the update includes?
    If it is top secret, NDA- only, then I can wait. But since it is mentioned on wegotserved's front page, I thought maybe a question here would not be inappropriate.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie

Here's the information on the update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957825

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Excellent, updating now. :)

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:24 PM

• Hmm, installing the update worked.  Updating the connector software on the client failed though.  It tries to download data from my server, never gets beyond 0% and says:

This operation cannot be completed at this time.

Please try again later.  If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

I went ahead and disabled my firewall and tried again with the same results.

What software is it trying to download from the server?  How do I verify it is there?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:15 PM
  • It should be an updated version of the connector. Have you moved or deleted the \\server\software\add-ins folder?

You should also be able to update the connector by browsing to http://server:55000 on a client PC.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:12 PM

• Thanks for the reply Ken,

I did lose some of software at one time when a drive failed (to be honest the WHS bits of Software should be duplicated on the system drive :P).  This was sometime soon after PP1 was rolled out.

Is there a list of items that should be in there?  When that folder is compared with what's on the connector ISO everything matches up - except folder contains the 64 bit connector msi and a couple of update .dlls.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Lliam said:

Thanks for the reply Ken,

I did lose some of software at one time when a drive failed (to be honest the WHS bits of Software should be duplicated on the system drive :P).  This was sometime soon after PP1 was rolled out.

Is there a list of items that should be in there?  When that folder is compared with what's on the connector ISO everything matches up - except folder contains the 64 bit connector msi and a couple of update .dlls.

Thanks

Ken wrote up this post when we started to see the same type of errors after releasing Power Pack 1:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/144dda77-d40a-4fe9-a5bc-bf71fa66b0d5

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:34 PM

• How did you find that so fast Lara?  I tried to search for that very post prior to posting my issue. :P  (no reply needed)

Eh, I decided to update to .net 3 while doing this update.  I updated to the subsequent service pack for .net 3 and can no longer access my home server website.  I'll have to deal with this when I get home tonight.  Thanks for the help!
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Possibly she uses OneNote to keep lists of useful URLs? That's one thing I do... :)
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Lliam said:

Hmm, installing the update worked.  Updating the connector software on the client failed though.  It tries to download data from my server, never gets beyond 0% and says:

This operation cannot be completed at this time.

Please try again later.  If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

I went ahead and disabled my firewall and tried again with the same results.

What software is it trying to download from the server?  How do I verify it is there?

Thanks

There seems to be a problem with the Connector upgrade (at least there was for me).  I also tried to upgrade the Connector software and it didn't work for me either.  I had the exact same error as you did.  It appears to be trying to run WHSConnectorIntall.exe (either through the systray icon or through http://server:55000/).  However, that doesn't work unless you uninstall the old version first (which that exe file doesn't do).  You need to go to the \\[servername]\Software\Home Server Connector Software folder and run setup.exe, which will uninstall the old version automatically, then install the new version (or uninstall the old version yourself, then run WHSConnectorInstall.exe from one of the above methods).
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:03 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by Chris H Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:41 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:00 PM
  • I saw on another forum someone saying they were having connector difficulties, just fyi. Thanks Lara for the reply.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:51 PM
  •  

The new WHS update KB957825 installed, rebooted the client PCs all working good here.

Richard A Miller. Media Center MVP
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:09 AM

• Thanks Kariya21, using the setup.exe resolved the issue.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I applied this update and lots of different experiences with different computers.

Computer 1:  XP Pro SP3 - Running when Update ran,   WHS Tray Icon turned red and say click to update, I clicked and it stuck on 1% then timed out, I researched this and tried running setup from the WHS server and this updated ok and Tray Icon Turned Green and PC shows up in WHS. No reboot required

Computer 2: MCE 2005 with XP3 - Was running during the Server Update,  Self up dated no problems, No reboot required

Computer 3: MCE 2005 with XP3 - Was running during the Server Update , Updated ok but a message came up saying this must be reboot, Rebooted and all ok.

COmputer 4: XP Home with XP3 - Was shut off during server Update:  Started the connect upgrade but the WHS Tray icon disapeared as opposed to turning green, PC Showed up on the server, I connected to the server on this machine and the WHS Tray Icon showed up ok

Computer 5: XP Home with XP3 - Was shut off during server Update:  Started the connect upgrade, Self up dated no problems, No reboot required.

All of these machines were up to date with Microsoft update except Computer 5 which is a sandbox that is dual boot and usually runs linux.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:42 AM
  • I tried the updates about an hour ago.  I was told to do the the KB957825 update and Microsoft.NET framework 3.0 SP1 (KB929300).  Both updates are shown as successful.  However, I am getting a DCOM error 10005 in the startup log of WHS - and on my Dell which after the update the console tray icon turned red and I was told to update the connector.  That failed miserably.  Now, I cannot install any connector on the Dell - whenever I try - the installation downloads connector software from the WHS machine and it is somehow corrupted.  I am considering totally reloading the WHS software, but after I do I still don't know if I'll be able to load connector software on the Dell (I cannot find any trace of the connector software on the Dell by looking in Add/Remove programs).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wes
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Sorry, in the above it isn't obvious that the Dell is a client machine that was running the connector software.  Everything was fine until I did the update.
    Wes
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Flwes said:

I tried the updates about an hour ago.  I was told to do the the KB957825 update and Microsoft.NET framework 3.0 SP1 (KB929300).  Both updates are shown as successful.  However, I am getting a DCOM error 10005 in the startup log of WHS - and on my Dell which after the update the console tray icon turned red and I was told to update the connector.  That failed miserably.  Now, I cannot install any connector on the Dell - whenever I try - the installation downloads connector software from the WHS machine and it is somehow corrupted.  I am considering totally reloading the WHS software, but after I do I still don't know if I'll be able to load connector software on the Dell (I cannot find any trace of the connector software on the Dell by looking in Add/Remove programs).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wes

Hi Wes,

Please submit a bug on Connect with client and server CABs.  We'll need to take a look at this.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:29 AM
  • I manually updated WHS and the console shows correct version number. However I didn't see any action on the Connector on the client PC (XP Pro SP3). I did see there are two files on client C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\upgrade, WHSConnector.msi and WHSConnector_x64.msi with last modified date of Nov 1, 2008.

How do I check whether the Connector on the client PC is correctly updated?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:38 AM
  • Eriin said:

I manually updated WHS and the console shows correct version number. However I didn't see any action on the Connector on the client PC (XP Pro SP3). I did see there are two files on client C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\upgrade, WHSConnector.msi and WHSConnector_x64.msi with last modified date of Nov 1, 2008.

How do I check whether the Connector on the client PC is correctly updated?

First, if it's not updated, the WHS icon in the system tray will be red. :)  Just look at the version numbers of the files in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server (for example, WHSConnector.exe).  The version number should be 6.0.1800.24 if it's up-to-date.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:53 AM
  •  Client connector upgrade should happen silently. The Nov 1 MSIs are the updated client bits pull down from the server.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Flwes said:

I tried the updates about an hour ago.  I was told to do the the KB957825 update and Microsoft.NET framework 3.0 SP1 (KB929300).  Both updates are shown as successful.  However, I am getting a DCOM error 10005 in the startup log of WHS - and on my Dell which after the update the console tray icon turned red and I was told to update the connector.  That failed miserably.  Now, I cannot install any connector on the Dell - whenever I try - the installation downloads connector software from the WHS machine and it is somehow corrupted.  I am considering totally reloading the WHS software, but after I do I still don't know if I'll be able to load connector software on the Dell (I cannot find any trace of the connector software on the Dell by looking in Add/Remove programs).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wes

Hi, Wes,

Did you move the folder where the "home server connector software" was stored? Can you check the date for the two MSI files under \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software\ (must be exact path)?

Thanks,
    Fan
    Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:20 AM
  • Flwes said:

Wes

I also had that DCOM error on my machine.  I had to reboot the WHS twice for it to go away. 

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:27 PM
  • Update for Windows Home Server (KB957825) is buggy then the Home Server Connector is hosed on ALL of my PCs, I get a RED Windows Home Server Console icon after installing KB957825 not Green saying that the Console software has to be updated. Could not find a new Console Software version. After hours of trying to fix this I uninstalled KB957825 manually and rebooted the server, guess what I now get a green Home Server Console icon again.

http://mswhs.com/2008/11/25/microsoft-fixes-6-issues-with-whs/#comments
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:41 PM
  • kspctec said:

Update for Windows Home Server (KB957825) is buggy then the Home Server Connector is hosed on ALL of my PCs, I get a RED Windows Home Server Console icon after installing KB957825 not Green saying that the Console software has to be updated.

That's normal.

kspctec said:

Could not find a new Console Software version.

Did you get an error message when you tried to upgrade?  If so, what did it say?

kspctec said:

After hours of trying to fix this I uninstalled KB957825 manually and rebooted the server, guess what I now get a green Home Server Console icon again.

http://mswhs.com/2008/11/25/microsoft-fixes-6-issues-with-whs/#comments

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Fan,
    I didn't move the folder you mentioned.  I checked for the two MSI files.  They were:

D:\shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software\WHSConnector.msi  12,447KB  10/31/2008  11:00 AM

and

D:\shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software\WHSConnector_64.msi  13,445KB  10/31/2008  12:00 PM

Then I tried what kspctec did - namely - I manually uninstalled the Update (KB957825).  I still have a red Home Server Console icon on the machine that I did not try updating the Connector Software, and I still cannot install the Connector Software on the machine that I had originally tried to update the Connector Software on.

So, I may also uninstall the other Update (KB929300) and see if that helps.

Wes

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:44 PM
  •  Lara Jones,

I'd love to do what you suggest - but I can't seem to figure out just how.  I am registered on Connect but cannot find a way to submit a bug on anything - and further cannot find "client and server CABs".  I can get to Connect alright, but if I try clicking on your link to "client and server CABs" I get a "Page Not Found".  Please, can you give me a clue on how to get there?

Wes

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Fan,

I forgot to mention in my reply that since I uninstalled the update the Home Server Connector Software files have reverted to 7/12/2008.

Wes
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Flwes said:

Fan,

I forgot to mention in my reply that since I uninstalled the update the Home Server Connector Software files have reverted to 7/12/2008.

Wes

First, you should re-install KB957825 (and make sure to reboot the server when you're done).  Once you've done that, check Lara's first post here regarding how to create bug reports and submit CAB files.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Flwes said:

Lara Jones,

I'd love to do what you suggest - but I can't seem to figure out just how.  I am registered on Connect but cannot find a way to submit a bug on anything - and further cannot find "client and server CABs".  I can get to Connect alright, but if I try clicking on your link to "client and server CABs" I get a "Page Not Found".  Please, can you give me a clue on how to get there?

Wes

No problem.

You need to register in the Windows Home Server program as well. The program will indicate that it is over but you can ignore that. We have left the program open for support/bug submissions on KBs and updates.

Once you have registered, the feedback page and CAB tutorial will be visible.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:06 PM
  • OK I FIXED MY ISSUE.

Ok. So I moved my connector software back to "\\servername\software
    home server connector software" and un installed/re-installed the update. I then reinstalled the connectors by running setup.exe from the connectors software folder and everything works fine.

\\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software

Noted that WHSConnector.MSI now has a date of 31/10/2008… previously I believe that the date was 10/07/2008

Ran WHSConnectorInstall.exe and let it finish the install… succesfully got to the console.

Ran the tray icon it came back green this time..

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:19 PM
  • first time post
     having simular problems with kb957825 install error dcom 10005 after reboot (on second reboot no dcom error)
    have uninstalled and reinstalled kb957825 again same dcom error and whs connector wont upgrade
    uninstalled connector software on client
    but now not able to install conector software on client says canot run diectly need to run using setup but no such thing 
    http://server:55000/setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe not showing connector software page canot be displayed but can browse to server software home server connector software run WHSConnector all files and directories look ok however folders dotnetfx20 and WindowsInstaller31 are empty is this correct any help apreciated
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Hi Robert,
    both folders DOTNETFX20 and WindowsInstaller31 should not be empty, but contain following files:
    dotnetchk.exe, dotnetfx.exe
    WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

(at least on my WHS).
    You can try to download these files and put them to the mentioned location.
    Eventually could you try to uninstall the last WHS Update on the server through control panel. (In the uninstall folder the missing files are also not located, so I don't assume this will fix the server.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Thanks Olaf
     Have replaced files not worked yet
    have now ran C:\WHS\ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd):
    installed setup in directory
    install now worked but dont know if i have correct ver of connector on client
    i suspect i may have just installed connector from sp1
    whsversion upgrade dll date is 130708 as is setup.exe
    but whs conector.msi is 011108
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Robert, have you moved or deleted either of the folders that Windows Home Server creates for it's own use in the \\server\software share? There should be a folder "Add-ins" and a folder "Home Server Connector Software".

If you've moved/renamed them, you should put them back, uninstall the most recent update (this will require you to log in to your server using Remote Desktop; if you have trouble with this get back to us), and reinstall it. If you've deleted the folder, you can try uninstalling the update, creating the folder (exactly as named above) and then reinstalling the update, or you can follow the procedure I outlined here.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:21 PM
  • See my earlier posts and replies to me.   I tried a bunch of things.  Finally decided that I wouldn't be comfortable even if I somehow did get the connector software to start working.  I just wiped the disk and reinstalled WHS off of the supplied CDs.  Now, I have not yet done any of the updates but everything is back to normal.  After I get back on Friday or Saturday I may let the system update except for those last two that are giving a lot of people fits (KB957825 and KB929300).

I was lucky, my server was less than a month old - I had activated it only about a week ago.  I sympathize with those of you that have this problem and have more history on yours.  If someone gets a solution I hope you will post it.  Eventually, I want to update mine, but I think I'll wait a while first.

Wes

Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Flwes said:

See my earlier posts and replies to me.   I tried a bunch of things.  Finally decided that I wouldn't be comfortable even if I somehow did get the connector software to start working.  I just wiped the disk and reinstalled WHS off of the supplied CDs.  Now, I have not yet done any of the updates but everything is back to normal.  After I get back on Friday or Saturday I may let the system update except for those last two that are giving a lot of people fits (KB957825 and KB929300).

I was lucky, my server was less than a month old - I had activated it only about a week ago.  I sympathize with those of you that have this problem and have more history on yours.  If someone gets a solution I hope you will post it.  Eventually, I want to update mine, but I think I'll wait a while first.

Wes

KB929300 is not necessary if you allow WHS to update itself (since .NET 3.0 is not a required update on WHS).  Logging into the server desktop and installing Software, Optional updates has been known to cause problems in the past.  My suggestion is to let WHS update itself (or, at the very least, if you use the server desktop, install only the High Priority updates).
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Ken
    didnot do that but setup was missing from folder only
    have updated a couple of computers now all ok but not sure if using most upto date clent on computer
    kb957825 still instaled on server
    also have "Add-ins" folder not sure what should be in this folder

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Robert Munslow said:

Ken
    didnot do that but setup was missing from folder only
    have updated a couple of computers now all ok but not sure if using most upto date clent on computer
    kb957825 still instaled on server
    also have "Add-ins" folder not sure what should be in this folder

Just go to each client and browse to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.  Check the Properties of one of the files there (i.e. WHSTrayApp.exe).  If the version number is 6.0.1800.24 on it, that client is up-to-date.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Robert Munslow said:

Thanks Olaf
     Have replaced files not worked yet
    have now ran C:\WHS\ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd):
    installed setup in directory
    install now worked but dont know if i have correct ver of connector on client
    i suspect i may have just installed connector from sp1
    whsversion upgrade dll date is 130708 as is setup.exe
    but whs conector.msi is 011108

Robert,

Setup.exe is not updated this time. If the two .MSI files are updated to Nov 1, you do have the updated client bits on the server. Also if you are having an older version of the client, the tray icon will become red due to version mismatch.

Fan
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, November 28, 2008 1:22 AM
  • I did the complete reinstall of WHS (see my above posts and problems with the update referenced in KB957825).  This evening I decided to retry this update.  The update seemed to go OK, until I got to the requiste restart.  On the initial screen - where you are told to "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin" - I got an error in a "Service Control Manager" window that said "At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use the Event Viewer to examing the event log for details."

Event viewer shows an error in the System area of type DCOM with event ID 10005 and 4 errors in the application area of tyoe Error event ID 3013 from Windows Search Service.

I have screen shots of all 5 of these (except the first was a picture I took with a digital camera) - showing the information available on the screen.

Subsequent reboots of WHS have not repeated these errors.  These errors were the same ones I had gotten in my first attempt to install the update (earlier posts in this thread).  However, this time I took care not to include the update involving KB929300 and to save KB957825 for the last install.  Also this time around I let the connector installs on the client machines update themselves without my intervention.  So the connectors seemed to update OK.

I have no idea what the errors are all about, but would be happy to share the screen shots with anyone who has any interest.

Wes
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Flwes said:

I did the complete reinstall of WHS (see my above posts and problems with the update referenced in KB957825).  This evening I decided to retry this update.  The update seemed to go OK, until I got to the requiste restart.  On the initial screen - where you are told to "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin" - I got an error in a "Service Control Manager" window that said "At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use the Event Viewer to examing the event log for details."

Event viewer shows an error in the System area of type DCOM with event ID 10005 and 4 errors in the application area of tyoe Error event ID 3013 from Windows Search Service.

I have screen shots of all 5 of these (except the first was a picture I took with a digital camera) - showing the information available on the screen.

Subsequent reboots of WHS have not repeated these errors.  These errors were the same ones I had gotten in my first attempt to install the update (earlier posts in this thread).  However, this time I took care not to include the update involving KB929300 and to save KB957825 for the last install.  Also this time around I let the connector installs on the client machines update themselves without my intervention.  So the connectors seemed to update OK.

I have no idea what the errors are all about, but would be happy to share the screen shots with anyone who has any interest.

Wes

You shouldn't even see KB929300 as a potential update on your server.  How exactly are you updating your server?  Once your reinstall was complete, what else did you install afterwards?  If you would like to share the screen shots, you can just upload them to a site such as flickr, then post the links to them here.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Just so it is communicated, other forums are reporting another difficulty. Although a fix is indicated, feedback is scarce.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2771

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Flwes said:

Lara Jones,

Wes

Hi, Flwes, would you please try this: 
    1. Log in Connect with your Live ID: https://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    2. Then get registered on Connect
    3. Add Home Server in your Dashboard
    4. Enter Homer Server Home page on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer
    5. At the bottom of the page, in Articles tab, try the link  Obtaining a CAB Number using Windows Home Server Toolkit
    6. Please follow the instructions to send the CABs
    Monday, December 1, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Hi everybody,

I've the same problem, as my server version is now 6.0.1800.24 after the update, but my Vista client is still version 6.0.1800.0 ! The client connector software still trying to download the new one from the server, but this one wasn't downloaded on the server during the update !!! Why ? I don't know !

Do someone could send me theses files by e-mail or put it on a rapidshare like server in order that I could upgrade my client connector ?

Thanks a lot.

Stéphane

Stéphane Bocquet
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Stéphane Bocquet said:

Hi everybody,

I've the same problem, as my server version is now 6.0.1800.24 after the update, but my Vista client is still version 6.0.1800.0 ! The client connector software still trying to download the new one from the server, but this one wasn't downloaded on the server during the update !!! Why ? I don't know !

Do someone could send me theses files by e-mail or put it on a rapidshare like server in order that I could upgrade my client connector ?

Thanks a lot.

Stéphane

Stéphane Bocquet

Make sure the path to the Connector software is \\server\software\home server connector software (replace server with the name of your server).  Once you have verified that the path is correct, logon to the server desktop, go to Add/Remove Programs, and make sure Show updates is checked.  Then uninstall KB957825 and reboot the server.  Then go back to look for updates and install it again, then reboot the server again.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 4:22 PM