How to uninstall Live Mesh without updating first? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to uninstall Live Mesh from a Vista Business system. I removed the device from the Live Desktop. I go to Control Panel->Programs and Features and double click on Live Mesh. A dialog pops up "Are you sure you want to uninstall Live Mesh". I click on Yes... Preparing to remove...  Please wait while Windows configures Live Mesh... then another dialog window appears BEHIND the uninstall dialog window, and the uninstall stalls.

The dialog window behind the uninstall dialog says "Configure Live Mesh Updates?".

1. I just want to uninstall it, not update it!

2. Why does the update dialog pop up BEHIND the uninstall dialog?

3. The machine was no longer connected to the Internet. How can I uninstall without connecting it to the Internet and updating first?

This is quite confusing. There are a couple of bugs here.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hey banana,

Yep there's basically 2 bugs you hit there that we're aware of and fixing already.

Bug 1:  Uninstall dialog box focus is incorrectly set causing it to appear behind other windows.
    Bug 2:  Typo, dialog box says, "Upgrade" when it should say, "Uninstall" 

No internet access is required for these steps.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• And it sure sounds like you should file them on Connect. Dialogs that don't take focus during an operation like an uninstall or install are very annoying!
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 2, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Hi imabanana,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with Live Mesh.  I'll try to help you get this resolved quickly.  To start with, please file a bug report with your logs attached through Connect, then post the Connect Feedback ID here.  I will also try to find you a workaround, but having your logs will help.

Thanks, and again: sorry for the trouble.

Ben.

------------------------------------------------

To submit a bug with your logs attached:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.        

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Bug ID 348903 submitted, with CAB.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hey banana,

Yep there's basically 2 bugs you hit there that we're aware of and fixing already.

Bug 1:  Uninstall dialog box focus is incorrectly set causing it to appear behind other windows.
    Bug 2:  Typo, dialog box says, "Upgrade" when it should say, "Uninstall" 

No internet access is required for these steps.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 6:12 PM
  • OK, and awesome! Uninstall is definitely a confusing place to be right now.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:23 AM