none
Remove busted add-ons.... RRS feed

• Question

• Ive got a couple add ons installed that are terrible, and I cant uninstall them. Any way to force them out?
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:24 PM

Answers

• This is unsupported, but you can reboot your home server, then without starting the Console:
    • Log on to your home server using physical console or Remote Desktop,
    • Find the DLL for the add-in you want to delete on your server in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server,
    • Delete the DLL,
    • Start regedit,
    • Navigate to the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\RegisteredAdditions,
    • Find the key for the add-in and delete it.
    That should remove the add-in from the Console. However, if you are unable to uninstall the add-in through the console you may have other problems in addition.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• This is unsupported, but you can reboot your home server, then without starting the Console:
    • Log on to your home server using physical console or Remote Desktop,
    • Find the DLL for the add-in you want to delete on your server in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server,
    • Delete the DLL,
    • Start regedit,
    • Navigate to the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\RegisteredAdditions,
    • Find the key for the add-in and delete it.
    That should remove the add-in from the Console. However, if you are unable to uninstall the add-in through the console you may have other problems in addition.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Testing now....

BTW.... you post so much you should be on the payroll.... Your rock!
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:03 AM
  • I dont see DLL's for any of my add inst aside from ToDesktop in that directory... I'm using the console app from the tasktry and using toDestop to get to my desktop....
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Please log on to your home server using the physical console or Remote Desktop, as I instructed previously. The DLLs for all installed add-ins are in the folder I mentioned; they will all have names like HomeServerConsoleTab.People.dll. (Note: that add-in is a system add-in, please don't remove it.) If there is no DLL for an add-in in that folder, there should also not be a tab for that add-in in the console.
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Its not ust tabs in the console... more so options in the list when you are in settings...
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Whether an add-in provides additional console tabs, or just a settings page, it should still appear in the list of known add-ins in the registry, and should still have a DLL in the location I specified previously. Are you saying that you have an add-in that does neither? What add-in?
    Monday, March 30, 2009 12:02 PM