Urgent Message with no instruction on how to resolve RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just restarted my computer and OneCare came up red and says:

Urgent

Go to the Help Center

OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC.

Not very helpful.

I clicked on the help button and lauched Instant Help but that wasn't helpful because I don't know what to ask.

Here is what I did before rebooting:

I just installed new RAM into my PC.  I disconnected the power cord to do this.  When I rebooted, I noticed that the time and date was something in September of 2004.  I have been getting a low voltage error message everytime I boot up and haven't figured out exactly what to do to resolve that issue yet.  I don't know if the two are related.

I'm not really sure what to do to get rid of this OneCare Urgent message. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:03 AM

Answers

• I assume that you have fixed the date. Have you also rebooted? An incorrect date can cause this problem.

Take the new RAM out. Are you still getting the voltage error? Is the date and time still correct and does OneCare start normally?

The problem can also be due to corrupted .Net Framework 2.0.

See method 3 in this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910656

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:54 AM

All replies

• I assume that you have fixed the date. Have you also rebooted? An incorrect date can cause this problem.

Take the new RAM out. Are you still getting the voltage error? Is the date and time still correct and does OneCare start normally?

The problem can also be due to corrupted .Net Framework 2.0.

See method 3 in this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910656

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:54 AM
  • I had fixed the date and rebooted.  I initially figured the date was the problem as my subscription would be "out of date" as it wouldn't have started yet.

I still get the voltage error.

I tried to do the .Net Framework 2.0.  I am running Vista.  It looks like I have 1.1 on my machine but when I try to install 2.0 it says it is already installed.  Nonetheless, I rebooted after that and it worked.  Thank you very much.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Excellent. Yes, Vista has .Net Framework 3.0. So, two reboots was the solution after fixing the date? Strange...

Totally off topic, but for your voltage error, you might want to consider our power supply or a connection as a likely cause of the problem. I'd suggest checking with the manufacturer of the motherboard for other troubleshooting steps you may need to try. It may be as simple as resetting the CMOS.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:27 PM
  • I just went through a similar experience with my system date reverting back to 2004, Hyperthreading disabled (usually enabled), and my onboard sound enabled (I turn it off to use a PCI sound card).  I also got the "low voltage" message and I found out that the CMOS battery on the motherboard was low and needed replacing.  Once I done that everything is fine again.

This battery keeps the system setup in BIOS stored.  Once the battery drains down BIOS "forgets" what day and time it is, configurations, etc.

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't seen the "low voltage" warning with a low CMOS battery, but that makes sense. I've got a laptop that drains the CMOS battery if removed from power too long - known defect on that Averatec C3500, but never had a low voltage warning.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:22 PM
  • You're welcome, Steve.  This is the first time I have ever seen this myself. In fact, this is the first time a CMOS battery ever gave out on me (I once had a Tandy 286 for six years and never had to replace it's battery).  After the weirdness started I rebooted and the first thing that came up was that warning.  After replacing the battery I just went into BIOS setup and config the date, time, boot order, etc.

That is one thing about computers, no matter how long you have messed with them you still learn something new every day, lol.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:44 PM
  • That is one thing about computers, no matter how long you have messed with them you still learn something new every day, lol.

That is certainly the truth! Two of my favorite quotes, the latter being something I was present to actually hear uttered by the engineer as he pondered a particularly vexing computer problem for code he was working on. :-)

"Life's always an adventure with computers." - anon.

"It's a miracle that it works at all."

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:52 PM