How does WHS duplicate folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say I have a client PC with 100 GB of music files.

I connect the PC, WHS does a backup, everything's fine.

The next day, I decide to move all 100 GB of music to the server's shared Music folder. The Music folder has duplication enabled. I delete the music from the client PC.

Is WHS smart enough to realize that it already has a copy of the music, stored in its backup folder - and thus minimize the amount of space necessary to duplicate the server's Music folder?
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:34 AM

Answers

• No. Files in the backup database are inaccessible to WHS, so when you move your 100 GB of music to WHS and turn on duplication for that share, you're going to use up a total of 300 GB of space: 100 GB for the data in the backup database, which will eventually be aged away; 100 GB for the first copy, and 100 GB for the duplication.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 12:39 PM

All replies

• No. Files in the backup database are inaccessible to WHS, so when you move your 100 GB of music to WHS and turn on duplication for that share, you're going to use up a total of 300 GB of space: 100 GB for the data in the backup database, which will eventually be aged away; 100 GB for the first copy, and 100 GB for the duplication.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 12:39 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 1:23 PM