none
Mark all read? RRS feed

• Question

• Where is the 'Mark all read' option or does someone know how to clear the unread topics. I'm very active in the Azure Stack forum and with each new TP release they add a post to all topics notifying users of a new build. That causes more then 60 unread threads, also users are replying to these threads and newer threads where I reacted to are not visible anymore. Resulting in chaos, late replies and I lose track of the important ones.

Does someone know how to clear this or knows a workaround instead of opening each thread? API or something else is also fine.

Cheers,

Ruud
    Twitter:    Blog: AzureStack.Blog  LinkedIn:    
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• As far as I know there isn't a forums function to do that. There are a couple suggestions here you could vote up or also add your own suggestion.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/838d37c4-8ddc-4a1a-8332-e628edcffab6/is-there-a-mark-all-threads-as-read-option-somewhere?forum=suggest

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7334ed18-e23c-4489-ade6-aaea6570d93f/mark-all-as-read-in-my-forums-threads?forum=suggest

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Ruud BorstMVP Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:28 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Thanks Dave, looks like they are not going to invest in it.  Strange because the option was once available.

Cheers,

Ruud
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:53 PM
  •  looks like they are not going to invest in it. 

I suspect you're right about that.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:08 PM
  • The option was available years ago in the old newsgroups, before they were replaced by the forums maybe 8 years ago. It is one of the features I miss.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:56 PM
  • The forums are really in contrast with the innovative technical stuff we are helping the users with..... Strange. All the money seems to go to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/

Cheers,

Ruud

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:01 PM
  • does someone know how to clear the unread topics.

Would you like to be my guinea pig?   <eg>

I have an idea but I don't want to experiment on my own profile.

I just opened my Unread posts in IE.  Then I went to its RSS feed.  I see in there 651/1000 and I have the option of Marking the feed as read.  What would that do?

Oh.  I don't think this is just a view of Unread threads.  This may be just the latest sample of  "My threads".   So, I wonder if it would somehow be possible to get an RSS feed for my Unread threads and then use that button in its RSS view.  What are the chances?   ; )

BTW I just realized that this view might actually be useful sometimes.  E.g. instead of cursing the useless forum search for not assisting me in finding threads that I knew I had recently replied to, provided I could remember some keywords from the OP's post (not just the title) I might have a good chance of finding some with less aggravation.  Thanks for making me notice this!

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:17 PM
  • Hmm, lets try that out...

Cheers,

Ruud

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:07 AM
  • Thanks, the RSS feed read feed items doesnt work but gave me an idea to solve this problem.

Reading out all items in PowerShell and open up the link in my browser with me signed in. The only thing is that the RSS view shows 20 items , how can I used 1000 items you mentioned Robert?

PowerShell (Win10)

$rss = Invoke-restmethod 'https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/user/threads?user=Ruud%20Borst&outputAs=rss'
    $rss.link | % { & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe' $_}

Cheers,

Ruud

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:04 PM
  • RSS view shows 20 items , how can I used 1000 items you mentioned Robert?

That's strange.  I thought it was 40 for unsubscribed downloads.   The 1000 is strange too because supposedly I have 2500 as a max subscription (according to IE).  It has always been a problem with RSS that you have to start with the default to start a subscription and then build it up which makes it much less useful than it would be otherwise (especially on Answers with its paged threads) when trying to capture one for browsing and doing Finds with.

That's a neat idea using PowerShell.  If we could only find a method of opening the user's Unread threads with it then presumably it wouldn't matter that you could only do 20 or 40 at a time.  E.g. enough iterations would eventually clean that view out the way you want.  In fact, if you could order it by Date Ascending then maybe you would be content to do it periodically, e.g. get rid of some of the oldest ones that way.

So, how does it work?  E.g. the % is an alias for Foreach-Object, so are you creating that many tabs in Chrome each time?  Also, I just realized that I don't know the implementation of the "Unread" attribute for either case.  E.g. in the case of RSS especially it might only be a client side thing while in the case of these forums it is presumably some kind of user profile thing on the server.  Then if we knew what was the minimum request allowed to mark a thread "read" you could help avoid a lot of overhead caused by rendering it completely for viewing in the browser.  Maybe Fissues would give a hint, since it would be in their interest to minimize overhead caused by such a workaround of the deficient functionality.  Otherwise, I may try tracing some to see if I can get any better ideas that way.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:08 PM
  • I also get 20 items back from PowerShell so it is a server-side thing. And you are correct, if I could just get the unread one then that would be great but then you have to authenticate as the forum user via an MS account to know what is unread. 

% is foreach, opening up multiple tabs and the RSS read/unread is indeed a client side thing.
    I got some experience in authentication with PowerShell so I will continue my effort next week and see if I can tackle this. Thanks for your help Robert!

Cheers,

Ruud

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:48 PM
  • have to authenticate as the forum user via an MS account to know what is unread. 

PowerShell lets us do that.  I saw an example with  Invoke-WebRequest.  You have create a credential to pass to it...  The syntax is in the help but there is no example...  Looks like it will just be a matter of using Get-Credential to create a credential object before issuing the request.  (I actually used this once but forgot the details, so thanks for the reminder.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:29 PM