Can't install WGA Notification (KB905474) update RRS feed

• Question

• When I run Microsoft Update or Windows Update, I see "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)" listed in my High Priority updates list.

I select it and click install.  It says it is downloaded and tries to install it, and then I get a window saying "Updates were unable to be successfully installed", and it lists this update.

I have checked my security settings and I think I have them as suggested.

I have run WGA Diagnostic Tool, and everything seems to check out okay; status is Genuine; 100% validation status.

I tried deleting info in the DataStore folder as someone else recommended.

Tried it with ZoneAlarm firewall turned off; tried it with Norton AV turned off.  No help.

Reboot after trying any change, and run MS Update again.  No change no matter what I do.

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance,

R.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:53 AM

Answers

• R:

I would suggest going through a Microsoft support representative since this seems to be non-WGA related (well, in the grand scheme) - http://support.microsoft.com - I'm sorry for the inconveience caused as a whole though. If there is a definite solution, please let us know so we can spread the word on forum for other users.

Thank you for the feedback,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 22, 2006 11:19 PM
  • Try the free WGA specific support cases here :

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

They will be able to help you manually install the validation control :)

I hope this helps!

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:46 PM
  • Found a fix on Windows Update Newsgroup Forum:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 4:35 PM

All replies

• Oh oh...I see that my problem is more involved than just WGA notification.  I get the same "Unable to be successfully installed" message when I try to install any update manually.  Oh, bother!

My automatic updates seem to install in the background just fine though.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:02 AM
  •  R. wrote:

When I run Microsoft Update or Windows Update, I see "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)" listed in my High Priority updates list.

I select it and click install.  It says it is downloaded and tries to install it, and then I get a window saying "Updates were unable to be successfully installed", and it lists this update.

I have run WGA Diagnostic Tool, and everything seems to check out okay; status is Genuine; 100% validation status.

Tried it with ZoneAlarm firewall turned off; tried it with Norton AV turned off.  No help.

Reboot after trying any change, and run MS Update again.  No change no matter what I do.

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance,

R.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:34 AM
  • R:

I would suggest going through a Microsoft support representative since this seems to be non-WGA related (well, in the grand scheme) - http://support.microsoft.com - I'm sorry for the inconveience caused as a whole though. If there is a definite solution, please let us know so we can spread the word on forum for other users.

Thank you for the feedback,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 22, 2006 11:19 PM
  •  R. wrote:

When I run Microsoft Update or Windows Update, I see "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)" listed in my High Priority updates list.

I have similar problem. Running 'Update' today first ran this item, followed up with 10 'Express' items. These downloaded OK, but when following up with the actual install stage, the process just halted halfway through the 5th item. With difficulty eventually able to log out and restart. Re-running update showed no more downloading required, just 5 items to be installed, completed successfully.

Then updated some custom items OK.

Finally reviewed all to date - 79 items listed since Nov 05, severall shown failed at first attempt, but only one not shown as subsequently successfull.

This was KB905474.

Restarts, and re-running update showed only no updates required. I can't find a way to force a re-install of this rogue item.

Toshiba Qosmio - F20, WinXP Media Center, fully up-to-date except this problem.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:34 PM
  • Zego + gang:

What is the 0x error message you are recieving?

-PHil Liu

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:01 PM
  • I recently downloaded the notifications and validation tool and since then have been having persistent problems with my laptop - it randomly hangs or shuts down. If it hangs on start I can force it through to a full boot up by ctrl alt del and this brings up task manager. If I then file/run any exe file it forces through to a full start????? Where should I go with this since sys restore doesn't remove this update and there is no uninstall option with it?
    Friday, May 26, 2006 8:24 AM
  • As an update to my own situation (sorry to hijack the thread here) I just tried windows update and it wouldn't let me download anything till I took this latest WGA download (numbered earlier than the one we are discussing here by the way). After downloading that it offered me more updates as follows - totalling 0kb and then failed to install them all......

Failed Updates
    For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113)
    Update for Windows XP (KB887742)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)

Remaining High-Priority Updates
    Your computer might be at risk until you install all high-priority updates. These updates help protect against security threats and performance problems.

Microsoft Windows XP
    Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

To review all updates you’ve installed from this website or by turning on automatic updating on your computer, see your update history.

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:54 AM
  • I have same problem - trying to install KB905474 hangs my m/c when about 2/3 way through the installation. Everything freezes and the only way to recover is reboot the m/c.

I've checked 'permissions' for administrators as suggested in one thread but to no avail.

Help! every time I switch the PC on it wants to try and install this update!

Waht can I do? 

Friday, May 26, 2006 5:38 PM
  • Ian:

What is the 0x error message that you're recieving? I need more information to track this down. Can you also run the diagnostics tool and provide its output here?

I would suggest going through a support request (free link below) in order to get more personal support as well, since it may be a registry change or something more detailed that needs to be done.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:32 PM
  • Hi Phil - thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. I don't remember ever getting a 0 error but here's the reult from the diag:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4WJP-F69MX-YBQ46
    Windows Product Key Hash: G4E5LGMJEEmX/TK4y6rM0hzdxRA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00110
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 4SXN6FC
    ID: 5168af11-8d96-4cee-9b20-8fd24e1e4673
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-275-80070002_7E90FEE8-171-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>5168af11-8d96-4cee-9b20-8fd24e1e4673</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YBQ46</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00110</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4057146332-212314427-699908706</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>VGN-T1XP_L(GB)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0032G7</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050119000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Sony Corporation,Sony Corporation</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>BA5E3F07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17491</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:32 PM
  • OK, today it locked up after 6 attempted restarts to bring it out of hibernation. Each time the lockup occurred before the splash screen even. I restarted using the power button and eventually after the 7th attempt it started ok and all the programs were still running - the state was exactly as it was when it was put into hibernate last night. Is this making any sense to anyone at all? Ian
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:06 AM
  • I am having a similar problem.  I have tried to install KB905474 many times on one of my PCs and no success.  Is there a solution yet?  Out of 4 systems that I have, this is the only PC that has this issue, all other system installed the update just fine.  I have performed all of the diagnostics and made sure that I am "Genuine" but this update just does not complete successfully.

Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f6290b97-1b9f-45b1-9475-5fc81769849c</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DKXYT</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2144102-97894</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-1993962763-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>msdinredmond</Manufacturer><Model>MS-6378</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20020618000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>8C1935DF01842053</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:49 PM
  • I have been having the same problem trying to install "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)" without success.  The online update will not give me any error code or any info other than the update "failed."

I can go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and successfully "validate" my copy of windows after changing internet explorer -> tools -> internet options -> security tab -> custom level button -> "enable" or "prompt" access data sources across domains.

Having just reinstalled, I have successfully (and tediously) downloaded and installed the other updates manually through the ms download center, but I find it very strange that no match can be found for KB905474.  I suspect that this update is actually what happens when ms update somehow determines that your copy of windows is not "genuine."  Can anyone confirm this?  Has anyone found a working solution besides the obvious answer of rolling back to Windows 2000 or migrating to Linux?  Thank you for any help you might be able to provide

Monday, May 29, 2006 7:33 AM
  •  

Hi

Am I glad that it was not just me who was having problems.  Just installed the new internet explorer 7 Beta and this came up as needed to be installed have tried on several occasions and it just won't load.  I know that my windows package is geniune as I had already validated when I got it back in January.

So what the hell is going on please?

I know you say use the customer support services but we are not all rich...lol.

Thanks in advance

Kriss :-)

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:03 PM
  • Try the free WGA specific support cases here :

They will be able to help you manually install the validation control :)

I hope this helps!

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:46 PM
  • One of my WinXP SP2 systems is suffering from the same symptoms. I receive this: Error Code: 0x80070005 , when interrogating the failure information.

My system validates as Genuine, against the MS Web site. It's running as part of my MSDN Universal licensed development platform.

One of my other systems, also running WinXP SP2, accomodated this update without complaint. Both systems are as up-to-date as the Express option of Windows Update offers.

Puzzling! .................Peter

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:54 PM
  • Peter:

I believe (as it seems) the issue may be related to Windows Update itself. Are you recieving this error constantly using "express" or "custom"? Can you reproduce it with certain settings and without certain settings?

I don't mean to have you "test" for our group (or Windows Update for that matter) but, any information at all will help us track down the issue to resolve asap.

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:58 PM
  • Trend Antispyware, for a moment, before Trend fixed the problem, called WGA a pest and removed it.

Another possible problem, my Antivirus gave me a warning, I can not remember what it said, it said it could not repair.

Strange, before it was working, then after I had the problem.

I erased my hard drive and reinstall Windows then all my others, then it worked.

I found a place where some pranksters on the Internet meet to download software to cause problems, there programs are trojans or programs to interfer with someones computer, take control or alter or effect a Computer. They come from the middle east. They give away zip files.

I informed Panda Software and Trend.com and Pest Patrol, they wrote back with information. They allow sending zip files, Norton was impossible.

Norton was not possible - they want me to download and install and separate each part into groups of a small amount - not safe. Impossible for me to do.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:24 PM
  • Phil:

Sorry it took so long to reply, but it takes about 15 minutes to run through to failure on the WU update.

I don't mind checking these things out - I've always viewed development as a full-contact sport!

I did mis-speak in my earlier post. I always use the 'Custom" option of WU, rather than the 'Express' option.

The update downloads OK.

The pre-initialization seems to take about 2 min,, and then I see the process spend about 13 min. tring to install, then give up and post the error message.

BTW: Both systems (the one that failed and the one that worked) are running the latest version of the IE7 beta, too.

This time, I tried using the 'Express' option. First, I saw this, in the dialog box:

Initializing installation...done

Installing [WGA] notification (KB905474) (update 1 of 1)...

After a total of 13 minutes on my mostly idle 3 GHz Dell GX260 with 1 GB memory, it finally failed. The resulting EC is still: "0x80070005". The "update.exe" process had been running between 2% and 6 % of CPU, with between 6 MB and 25 MB of process memory allocated, averaging around 14 MB.

Now that I check the Installed Program inventory, it shows KB905474 as having been successfully installed on 25-Apr-2006!  It is, of course, not removable.

I had not previously noticed the 25-Apr installation. Checking the Installation History, via IE, indeed shows that a successful installation of KB905474 occurred on that date.

Therefore, the problem must be something like: "Why does WU keep thinking it needs to install this particular patch?", rather than an actual installation problem.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.................Peter

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:36 PM
  • Peter:

Thank you *SO* much for your very diligent input. I've tracked this down with my lead developer and have identified the problem with some registry settings related to BITS (background intelligent transfer service) - a program used to manage downloads via WU (in some cases).

It does run as a background service, and this KB article may be of use (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884573) - though your specific registry settings may differ from many other users. I would suggest contacting MS Support ( http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&) to remedy this situation immediately, as they should be able to track down the exact registry settings needed.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:18 PM
  • Phil:

Done! I submitted the problem to MS Support Email, and received Confirmation number: SRZ060531002745. I greatly appreciate your prompt and attentive responses.

To my puzzlement, the first link you cited, (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884573) , sent me to a page titled: "“0x80070005: Access is denied" error message when you create a scheduled task in Windows XP Service Pack 2". That page did not, on the surface, appear to offer any insight into the problem I'm experiencing. My credentials are as an Admin on this system, and I couldn't see any evidence that any Scheduled Job had failed for several days back. Am I missing something? My credentials, along with 'administrators' & 'everyone' already posess the "Access this computer from the network" right. Was that relevant, somehow?

Regards.....................Peter

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:23 PM
  • i am having similar problems wirh WGA Notification (KB905474) update. i would like to uninstall/remove this update from my pc. Since this update doesnot have an instill information with it, i was unable to unstill/remove it.Please send me methods/ways to unstill it from my PC. i have tried to unstill it from ADD Remove programs but the update doesnot even show up in the Add Remove programs list! I need your assisstance as soon as possible. Thanx
    Thursday, June 1, 2006 1:38 PM
  • Hi Phil - this is really getting to me now! I have reverted back to a restore point way before I downloaded this update and I don't see the 90574 in there. In fact it now wants me to download it and of course I have denied it. Still my random lock/shutdown/failed starts is occuring. Is it possible that the restore has left something behind that is causing the problem or maybe another co-insidental issue? Please help if you have the time.

Kind regards - Ian

Friday, June 2, 2006 10:02 AM
  • I have the same problem, it seemed to happen after my machine was attacked by a Downloader trojan. I was alerted by Norton AV but it could not repair or delete the file.

I have tried Windows repair, System mechanic registry clean-up etc, ewido, spybot but still have this problem.

I am stumped.

Friday, June 2, 2006 10:01 PM
  • My computer ended up freezing completely now, I believe because it was trying to load during automatic update sessions.

Even after rebooting to my desk top, the computer was hanging up, so I repaired windows and went to the microsoft update site to down load updates using custom update. There I unchecked the WGA Notification and hid it to inhibit it from future attempts at auto installation. Hopefully this will work.

Why should I care for the update anyway, I know my Windows system is genuine. 

Saturday, June 3, 2006 9:26 PM
  • I've had the same problem for about a month now. I'm sure it's something in the registry (hard drive was swapped out) but I can't figure out how to fix it. I've been able to do some manual downloads; but keeping up with them is becoming troublesome. Here is the error code from the windows update log:

2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 DnldMgr FATAL: DM:CAgentDownloadManager::GenerateAllDownloadRequests: SusMakeDirectoryW failed with 0x80070057.
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 DnldMgr Error 0x80070057 occurred while downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 DnldMgr ***********  DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {C9148CD8-B394-4365-ACAA-D65C88DAABBC}.100]  ***********
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 DnldMgr  * Update is not allowed to download due to regulation.<----any guesses at what this means?
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 DnldMgr ***********  DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {F24D5161-56FC-49A0-B5B7-37CFEF8EB242}.100]  ***********
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 DnldMgr   * Update is not allowed to download due to regulation.
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 3908 f4c DtaStor Update service properties: service registered with AU is {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 Agent *********
    2006-06-05 01:04:31 1112 3d8 Agent **  END  **  Agent: Downloading updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]

I hope this is helpful to diagnosing the problem at least. I've searched for info on this specific code, and haven't really found anything that's relevant to windows updates.

Meesta

Monday, June 5, 2006 9:17 AM
  • Phil:

MS Support worked me through the problem successfully, under Microsoft Support Case ID: SRZ060531002745.

In my particular case, after other items were cleaned up (see the Case#), I had to disable Noton AntiVirus for 15 minutes while running WU to install the WGA update. That process allowed the update to install properly, without any complaints.

After the subsequent reboot, when I returned to WU, there were no outstanding Updates to be installed.

Joy was had by all!

Regards, and thanks to all...................Peter

Monday, June 5, 2006 9:09 PM
  • Found a fix on Windows Update Newsgroup Forum:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 4:35 PM
  • Loverboy - Thank you! I will make note of this on the forum.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 7:03 PM
  •  

http ~~~~~~~~~~~~154544.exe

I downloaded it and

It worked

BUT?

when I do a search of microsoft for the file It can not be found

Isn't that a little odd?

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 8:44 PM
  • You are welcome.  It is a much easier way of making the computer work than trying to figure out specifically what the problem is.

Have a great day!

loverboynm

Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:01 PM
  • Hey Walter58,

Probably not all that odd.  I am not really qualified to answer this, I suspect that Phil Liu is the one to ask.  My guess is that some things are not indexed as searchable by Microsoft default unless someone takes extra steps to make it searchable.  That way people like me that don't know what they are doing can't get into something that will crash their system.  When I search my computer for "KB anything" I get nothing, even when looking for hidden files.  If you don't know where to look, you won't find it.

I found the solution on this page :

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

under the error code:  0x80242006 posted by Robin Walker [MVP] on 6/7/6

Thursday, June 8, 2006 2:07 PM
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

hi; i need to know how can i install the above

Friday, June 9, 2006 3:43 AM
  • I am also facing the same problem with KB905474, WGA validation is ok then why I am not allowed to automatically update my critical update KB905474? Please help me how to resolve.

Thanks...

R. wrote:

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance,

R.

Friday, June 9, 2006 4:44 AM
  • what can i do with my desktop computer if it can`t install WG NOTIFICATIO (KB905474).Please help me!
    Friday, June 9, 2006 6:14 PM
  • I have already installed the WGA Notification update (KB905474) on May 19, 2006, and it appears in my Add/Remove Programs list.  However, when I tried to check Windows Update on June 8, 2006, this KB905474 appears on the High-priority list again, but it FAILS to install after repeated attempts.  I KNOW that my Windows is genuine.

However, I was able to SUCCESSFULLY install the OTHER updates on June 8, 2006 -- Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) and Update for Windows XP (KB904942).

I have Zone Alarm and AVG Antivirus installed on my laptop, but they have not caused any problems before this KB905474 problem.  I have given internet access to WGA program in ZoneAlarm.

A Hong Kong Microsoft tech rep replied to my query, and asked me to try (1) rename Windows Update folder, (2) delete contents of datastore folder (3) clean windows update temp folder (4) re-register windows update client.

I am not an expert in these things, and I am afarid I will corrupt or delete something else by going these rather complicated steps (for me, at least).  Since I can successfully update the other Windows update, and I can see many people are having problems with KB905474, I am wondering whether I should HOLD OFF on doing the 4 steps suggested by the Hong Kong MSFT rep.  Is there a bug in the KB905474?

Error code shown on the update history is: 0x80242006

Friday, June 9, 2006 7:37 PM
  • It seems that after several times of validating my windows XP you would think that I had proved that I am not a thief and that I did pay for my DELL that came with XP already installed. Is there really a way that after paying for the OS that after time the OS then becomes a stolen product of MS? I am a little concerned that when I buy a DELL in the future with Vista on it am I going to have to prove that I didn't steal that OS also? Not trying to beat up on MS about this but when I buy any other product I have never had to keep proving that I didn't steal it.
    Friday, June 9, 2006 8:13 PM
  •  It seems that after several times of validating my windows XP you would think that I had proved that I am not a thief and that I did pay for my DELL that came with XP already installed. Is there really a way that after paying for the OS that after time the OS then becomes a stolen product of MS? I am a little concerned that when I buy a DELL in the future with Vista on it am I going to have to prove that I didn't steal that OS also? Not trying to beat up on MS about this but when I buy any other product I have never had to keep proving that I didn't steal it. How many times will I have to prove the OS that is on my new DELL has not been stoollen?

Thanks

Friday, June 9, 2006 8:14 PM
  • Hi Phil,

I just found this link that you have posted.  If I have the error code 0x80242006, is the link above going to help me solve the KB905474 installation problem?  Besides clicking on the link and running the .exe file, do I need to do anything else before or after?

My Add/Remove program showed I have installed KB905474 on May 19, 2006 already, but I am still getting KB905474 as a high-priority update, but always get installation failed.

Thanks.

Friday, June 9, 2006 8:23 PM
  • Hello,

I have found a similar problem as albertapeach(below), WGA kb905474 was apparently installed april 26 in add/remove.  windows update history has it failed 6-7 times in the last week or so.

weird thing is i think wga kb905474 installed today june 10, but only thing in add/remove for june 10 is kb892130. somehow linked?

update is repeatedly trying to get WGA off the update site, have hidden it, have seen the manual update, have not done the manual update.  its final exams, if this computer pulls a microsoft on me and begins having issues I will be PISSED.

AlbertaPeach wrote:

Hi Phil,

I just found this link that you have posted.  If I have the error code 0x80242006, is the link above going to help me solve the KB905474 installation problem?  Besides clicking on the link and running the .exe file, do I need to do anything else before or after?

My Add/Remove program showed I have installed KB905474 on May 19, 2006 already, but I am still getting KB905474 as a high-priority update, but always get installation failed.

Thanks.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:07 AM
  • I get something similar to what has been discussed here. Mine error code is 0x80242006 - and I too seem to have been hit by malware (had to remove two nasty bugs in the past week!), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

David

Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:03 AM
  • I was getting the wga update notifaction update wich kept failing. I reviewed my update history. WGA was installed awhile ago succesfully. Strange never had this problem . I know my WIN XP OS is valid. I am just wondering why Windows update is failing. I am not worried.
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:13 AM
  • I have also "failed" three time but then again what do you expect from Microsoft!  That is why I use LINUX!  You should give it a try!
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:50 PM
  • Had the same problem but found that the update was previously downloaded through auto update but was not being recognized when update did it's search.  So I deleted the original download thinking that the reinstall would take.  It didn't.  My other updates seem to come through fine.  Have no idea what the problem is with this.
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:11 PM
  • LiveUpdate said I needed this update, but all attempts to install "failed".  My history said liveupdate had successfully installed it.  I deleted what was "installed" and used your suggested manual site.  It worked, installed successfully and live update says I'm up-to-date.  THANKS!!!
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:50 PM
  • Did as Phil suggested at http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25.

Now when I do a 'Custom' update scan at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us , KB905474 does not come back as a critical update, as if the windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe file manual install was successfull.

But, when I click on 'Review your update history' http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/history.aspx?ln=en-us , I get 'Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)  [Failed] Sunday, June 11, 2006 Microsoft Update'.

There are 8 other 'Failed' back to Tuesday, June 06, 2006. 1 listed as 'Microsoft Update. 7 as 'Automatic Update'.

I did not try a manual install before this, so that cannot be the difference between a Microsoft and Automatic update, can it? Does not matter, just curious.

Also curious why the scan does not show this update as required while the history keeps showing it as failed after 2 beboots.

Monday, June 12, 2006 3:22 AM
  • I think there is a bug in the updater.

Mine installed successfully May 20 and has been reporting failures ever since.

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:28 PM
  • 0x80242006

Similar problem, except download of update fails, never gets to install.  Got 8 other security related updates, worked fine.  The WGA update has failed for several days.  KB doesn't give any results for search on this error message.

Seems like I get a WGA update notification every month or so.  This is the first time it hasn't worked. Tried usual things, default security/privacy in IE, disabled Norton.  Still doesn't work, never had to change any of this before.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:02 PM
  • Microsoft Update is when you go to the website; Autmatic Update is when your computer auto-downloads and installs the updates.

Your history still shows it failed, because it's a history!  :P  It DID fail, so it has a record of that.  That's all!  It doesn't show that it got installed later because you did it manually and not through the site.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:18 PM
  • Not exactly.  It failed on Automatic Update, and it failed (same error) doing it manually through the Microsoft Update website.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:21 PM
  • Manual Installation of KB905474 is here: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=458758&SiteID=25

-phil liu

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:30 PM
  • This works.  About 900K download, takes a few minutes to run.  Windows Update is now happy.  Problem solved.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:35 PM
  • I also use Linux but for work I have to use XP Pro. But I do agree that with all the problems with proving that a user that is trying to "UPDATE" (I mean patch) there XP box is making the switch for alto of company's easy to make.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:45 PM
  • Theckr,

Well, if these companies you mention are "switching" from counterfeit or otherwise unauthorized installations of XP to a so-called "free" OS, I say Good Riddance.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:20 PM
  • I am not saying that I condone using pirated software of any kind even with all the troubles with WGA, I am just saying that there is other operating systems and software suites that are low cost and free. I have to use XP with the software that is used in the office and that is why I paid for a new DELL unit and paid the extra cost for XP and not XP Home. I have no problem with MS doing updates and patches to there OS, they all have to (Yes even Linux, not as many but they also have had to do patches) for performance and security issues.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with Microsoft taking anti-piracy measures. But when they abuse my trust and impact my operations, I start to become angry, and feel that at the very least I'm owed an apology for there WGA software telling me that I have some how stolen or and using software that was paid for checked by several times as to being legitimate in the past but some how now is stolen.

Of course, if they disclose that they had to address a security issue within the WGA, then it would be a different story. Every OTHER time they've released an out of cycle patch, If I had seen a disclosure that would at least legitimize why I am being stopped to finish any work and to jump through hoops to again prove that I am not a thief.

To follow a car analogy that “we should only drive on Microsoft roads, fill up at Microsoft stations and use "Genuine Microsoft" parts” Without the Microsoft police stopping us at random every 500KM or so, to ensure that we are in compliance. So then why are we having a piece of pre-release (AKA beta) software forced upon us as a release that is causing people with legitimate licenses to be labeled as software pirates.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:51 PM

• Go to C, go to Windows folder, go to system32 folder, go to KB905474 folder, and click on Wgasetup.That will install the kb905474 update.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Thanks.... thats solve the problem... for me
    jom
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:24 PM