database synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to synchronize two remote databases.Database is sql server 2000. I have to implement it in an asp.net web application.I want to use local database offline and update remote server after some duration

Thanks

kushwahavijendra

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 9:49 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi kushwahavijendra,

Sync Services works fine with all the versions you listed in your post. However, if you are interested in building peer-to-peer sync scenarios then you might want to consider using SQL Server 2005 or above. The reason is that you will need snapshot isolation mode to ensure data consistency while concurrent syncs are in progress.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Check out the sync services for ADO.NET v2 that we just shipped its CTP1 few days ago. This new version allows you to synchronize data between sql server nodes.

Thanks

Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Hi Rafik Robeal,

Thanks for your reply.I am using sql server 2000 , dot net framework 2.0 and visual studio 2005.

Can I use Microsoft Sync services with these versions or should I  upgrade the versions ?  

Thanks & Regards

kushwahavijendra

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:02 AM
  • Hi kushwahavijendra,

Sync Services works fine with all the versions you listed in your post. However, if you are interested in building peer-to-peer sync scenarios then you might want to consider using SQL Server 2005 or above. The reason is that you will need snapshot isolation mode to ensure data consistency while concurrent syncs are in progress.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Hi Rafik Robeal,

Thaks for your reply.

Regards

Kushwahavijendra

Saturday, November 17, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Hey Rafik,

you said:

Rafik Robeal wrote:

if you are interested in building peer-to-peer sync scenarios then you might want to consider using SQL Server 2005 or above

This sounds like it is better to use 2005 but still possible to do peer-to-peer using SQL Serer 2000. I experienced the opposite. Am I getting you wrong here?

Is there another way to sync two SQL Server 2000 databases with the current version of MSF?

If not can we expect a release of a provider which can handle this?

Cheers,

Michael

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Michael,

The current version that supports peer to peer is in early CTP, that said, changes can be made based on your feedback. So keep them coming.

The peer provider in the CTP requires snapshot isolation while enumerating changes from the database. There is no way to change that thus it requires SQL Server 2005+. There is a reason that snapshot isolation is needed which is consistency while other sync\DML operations as running on the server at the same time. Unless you have a control on what is executing on the database and could limit access to only the sync operation then you can use SQL Server 2000. So, can you tell me more about your scenario?

Thanks

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Rafik,

thanks for your answer.

We are currently building a tool to synchronize the database of one of our products (a web based application) with parts of other databases a client might own. We want to have the data available in the web app without being permanently connected to the clients server.

We plan to realize this using push synchronization with a web service on our web server. The service would be called in regular intervalls from the clients server.

Is there already a date for the beta version of MSF?

Thanks

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:31 AM
  • michael030,

Can you share source code of your tool? I would like to achieve something similar. We can even work together on this.
    If you can share any code please send it to: radoslav[at]everestkc[dot]net

I came across a SyncronizationManager sample that can help reduce the code writtent to syncronize tables. If you are interested I can share that code.

Thanks,

Rad
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:38 AM