recovery of data drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 hard disks (data) disks witch i set up with whs. today I had to re-format my primary hard disk and now I cant access the data on those drives, how can I inport them ? When ever I try in console all i get is the option to format them ..

Ian Bennington (UK)
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• You can also remove all of the hard drives from your home server.  Do a new installation of Windows Home Server to the new drive and then put the drives back into your home server - Don't add them to the storage pool, and use a Remote Desktop session into your home server to copy the data off of the drives one at a time, before adding a drive to the home server storage pool.  You don't want to add them to the pool until after you copy the data off - cuz they get formatted and if you do them one at a time, you will have enough storage in the pool with each successive drive.

This series of steps has been documented multiple times in these forums by Ken Warren, Brubber and other Windows Home Server MVPs.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• If you formatted your primary disk, then how are you getting to the Windows Home Server Console?

Why did you have to re-format?

Did you just format the D: partition on your primary hard drive?

The data is on all of the other disks in a hidden folder \DE\Shares that can be read on any PC running Windows XP, or Windows Vista.

You may be able to recover your home server using the "Server Reinstallation" process - however not sure of what state it is currently in ...
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Hi T.Headrick

Sorry it was not so much a case of reformat but a case of new Primary Hard Disk Drive ..
    so yes I did lose drive D :-(

tryed a server reinstallation after i installed the server to see if it would pic the drives up but no luck.

and thanks for the point of useing vista my home server can see the files in the de\shares draw, Many thanks for that Idea.

Many Thanks
    Happy Christmas 2 u
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:12 PM
  • You can also remove all of the hard drives from your home server.  Do a new installation of Windows Home Server to the new drive and then put the drives back into your home server - Don't add them to the storage pool, and use a Remote Desktop session into your home server to copy the data off of the drives one at a time, before adding a drive to the home server storage pool.  You don't want to add them to the pool until after you copy the data off - cuz they get formatted and if you do them one at a time, you will have enough storage in the pool with each successive drive.

This series of steps has been documented multiple times in these forums by Ken Warren, Brubber and other Windows Home Server MVPs.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:25 PM