CRM Reports Error RRS feed

• Question

• Have a problem with a couple of reports that we have uploaded to a client's site.  If you log on the site using domain admin credentials then the reports work fine.  However, if you log on as anyone else, even people with System Admin rights then you get the following "helpful" error message...

"Reporting Error

The report cannot be displayed."

If you look at Event Viewer then the following error messages appear:

====================================================

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSCRMReporting
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 19969
    Date:  18/12/2008
    Time:  11:21:06
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CRM
    Description:
    Web service request SetParameters to Report Server http://crm/reportserver failed with SoapException. Error: The path of the item '/ORG_MSCRM/4.0/' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash. (rsInvalidItemPath)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSCRMReporting
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 19969
    Date:  18/12/2008
    Time:  11:24:16
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CRM
    Description:
    Web service request SetParameters to Report Server http://crm/reportserver failed with SoapException. Error: An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The SQL Server Reporting Services Connector has been installed.  Also if you run any of the other reports then they work absolutely fine... just not the new ones.  CRM was a fresh install and not an upgrade from 3.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Douglas

Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:42 AM

Answers

• My reporting services are installed on a separate sql box.  We have CRM on one box and SQL on a separate box.  We are successful with drill down reports as well.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Hi

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  Many thanks for replying yourself.  Anyway, I think I have figured out why the reports weren't working properly.  I think it was the way I was installing them on the CRM server.  Instead of going through the CRM interface I installed them on SQL Reporting Services instead.  Anyway, I redid it using the CRM interface and everything appears to be working fine now.

Thanks again,

Douglas

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:10 PM

All replies

• An update on the problem.  Have managed to get the reports working using a workaround but am sure there is something amiss which caused the issue in the first place.  What it looks like is a permissions issue within the ORG_MSCRM database.  In order to get the reports working we had to give the User Groups which are created when you install CRM, the SELECT permission on each of the entity tables that were used in the report.  After we did that everything is fine.

Although we have managed to work around the problem would be grateful if anyone has any ideas as to why this might have happened.

Thanks again,

Douglas

Friday, December 19, 2008 11:23 AM
  • Hi Douglas,

I also hit the exactly same error as above.

You just add the UserGroup in AD into SQL and give it CRMReader role solved the problem?

I try like above still hit the error.

Need restart IIS/ reporting services something like that???

thanks

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:43 AM
  • Hi

Again, I haven't discovered the root cause of the issue yet but to perform the workaround do the following tasks for each of the tables that your report has a problem with.  For instance if you had a problem with a report based on the Contact entity then you would perhaps perform the following tasks on both the ContactBase and ContactExtensionBase tables...

1. Open up SQL Server Management Studio (I am basing this on SQL Server 2005).
    2. Locate the CRM organisation's <Org Name>_MSCRM table.
    3. Locate the table you wish to alter and then right-click on it.
    4. Choose Properties.
    5. Under Select a Page choose Permissions.
    6. Click on the Add button.
    7. Click on the Browse button.
    8. Select the following groups:
      • PrivReportingGroup
      • ReportingGroup
      • SQLAccessGroup
    9. Click OK and then OK again.
    10. Select each of the above groups in turn and tick Grant for Select permission.
    11. Repeat for each table.

Again, I would love to know why I need to do this but in the meantime this allows the reports to work.

Cheers,

Douglas

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Hi Douglas,

When you created your custom reports, what datasource did you use.  I have been successful using a direct query to the SQL server with Windows Authentication.  Also, it is better to run your reports against the filtered views rather than the base tables.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:52 PM
  • I query filteredview in CRM only. I check the permission already granted, no luck still the same. problem is with the same rdl file i can run in development server.

*Just my drilldown report will hti this error.

Your reporting services installed together with CRM application in the same server or different?

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:39 AM
  • My reporting services are installed on a separate sql box.  We have CRM on one box and SQL on a separate box.  We are successful with drill down reports as well.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Hi

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  Many thanks for replying yourself.  Anyway, I think I have figured out why the reports weren't working properly.  I think it was the way I was installing them on the CRM server.  Instead of going through the CRM interface I installed them on SQL Reporting Services instead.  Anyway, I redid it using the CRM interface and everything appears to be working fine now.

Thanks again,

Douglas

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:10 PM
  • good, glad to hear everything is working for you.  Have a good day.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:25 PM