Calls from outside the firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I've noticed there is some substancial knowledge in this newsgroup, so I'll try to see if you can help me with my problem...

Everything seems to work fine from inside the company, except for one thing - we don't get the number of the calling party. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

Also, if I try to call from home, I can successfully make calls if I'm connected through VPN. Even if I connect to the outside address. However, if I try to make calls without VPN the line is broken once the phone is picked up on the other end. The error I'm getting is the "The call was disconnected because Communicator stopped receiving audio from ‎NUMBER. Please try the call again."

I have seen references to a logging tool, but I cannot find it...

I'd be very grateful if someone has any good tips on how to fix this problem - or at least point me in the direction of a good logging tool.

Cheers!
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Lars,

The logging tool can be started from the OCS MMC console page. I believe it is in the property list under the OCS pool name.

Edge server also has a logging tool. You can get access to the Edge Server properties by starting the Computer Management tool under Administror Tools (COnfiguration panel of your Windows 200x server). OCS Edge properties can be found under "Manage Services and Applications" (Just expand all and you'll find it).

Just a few general tips on debugging the error that you are getting:

* Check the certificates on the Edge Server and see if subject/alternate names matches the FQDN name of your external interfaces (especially check you AV Edge server certificate first! ). If not, just re-create and implement them using the Certificate Wizard in the OCS/Edge installer and try again (restart the services).
    * Check if you have configured the correct FQDN and port numbers of your OCS Edge server interfaces in your OCS configuration (this can also be done from the property list of your internal OCS server). This is important to make sure that all the traffic will be routed correctly via OCS Edge to the outside world.
    * On OCS Edge you can type "netstat -an" in your command prompt to see the IP addresses and port numbers being used.
    * If you are not using public certificates on your External Edge server interfaces you should install a root certificate on every client that is logged on via the external Edge interface communicate with your internal OCS pool. The root certificate can be downloaded from your internal CA.
    * Run the validation wizards and check the event logs on both your OCS Edge and OCS servers and see if there are still errors.

Good Luck!

Thomas

Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:53 AM
  • Thanks for the tips! I'll look into it...Do you know if reverse DNS has anything to do with it? The FQDN resolves to the right IP, but the IP doesn't resolve to the FQDN. The certificates looks fine, and there are no errors in the validation.

Cheers!
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Which fields should I check? I tried checking the ones I figured were important, and ended up with an empty log. Then, I checked everythign and ended up with almost 4MB

Sucks being a general IT person in a telephony world
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Anything in particular I should look for, by the way?
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:53 PM
  • SIP stack log should provide enough information (if this is what you mean). With the analyze function in the logger tool you can find errors.

Thomas
    Monday, October 22, 2007 6:41 AM