Active windows: msoobe.exe - application error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We had some problems with our computer and RAID facilites in particular earlier in piece, so I took that computer to computer shop and they done all adjustments and reinstalled XP Pro as well. that was OK for while. Now few months later, computer is slow again  (may be bags (?), it is kids computer) so I reinstalled XP Pro Academic Edition (our own copy) on top of the old one (the one from computer shop).

During instalation it asked for VIAAGP1.sys file and I founded that file on CD which came with Mother Board.

After instalation was completed it was asking "Would you like to validate software?" Clicked "Yes", it went to "Active windows: msoobe.exe - application error. The instruction at "0x7726381c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click "OK" to terminate the program. Click "Cancel" to debug the program.

I tryed both "OK" and "Cancel" but it did not help. It goes back to "Would like to validate software..."

Only than it downed on me that when I did reinstall there was question right at begining "Would you like to Upgrade or Clean Install?" I clicked Upgrade, but now I think there is one software from computer shop and the other one is seating on top of it is our own one, well the validation keyes at least anyway, seating on top of each other.

What do we do please? Is it possible to activate it?

Thank you.

Regards,

S.G.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:38 AM

Answers

•  

Surgical,

I am not sure if you have found the solution to your problem since it has been a while.

I encountered a problem with the msoobe application as well this morning and searching through the internet (on my notebook as I cannot get into my PC anymore), I chanced upon this thread and kbAlertz where it said that the problem could be caused by IE7. As I have IE7, I uninstalled as instructed and I was able to activate my Windows.

Cheers.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hello Surgical,

msoobe.exe is used for Product Activation, so I beleive when you say Validation, you mean Activation. Unfortunetly, these forums are for Windows Genuine Advantage issues and your question is out of scope of our support. But the Good News is, Microsoft provides unlimited free support for OS Install and Product Activation issues.

For XP Home: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3219&gprid=37013
    For XP Pro: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3518&gprid=185522

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.
    ------------------------------------------

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Thanks Darin,

Sorry I missed point, why is this forum only for Genuine Advantage people?

What is the difference?

Is my question somewhat does not fit in?

Regards,

S.G.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Surgical,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Hi Sugical,

These forums are not only for Genuine Advantage People, these forum are only for Windows Genuine Advantage Issues.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:34 AM
  • Thanks guys,

Sorry for asking too many questions.

1. I do not know if Windows XP Pro which was installed in computer shop while ago is geniune, I hope it is (otherwise they would not be in buseness, I think, but than again how would I know?).

2. I can run that diagnostic tool (what Dan suggested) on my main office computer and it is all OK, all geniune, all working.

3. What I have problem with is second computer (kids computer), and I cannot get into that machine because it keep asking "Whould you like to validate?.." I click "Yes", it goes to next screen "Active windows: msoobe.exe - application error..." and it goes arround in circles.
    I wont repeat all that tech. talk posted on all those pages, please see original post for detailed information, it is all out there.

4. Question is

a) How do we get into machine (into that software)? How do we get bypass that "run-around" of all those questions?

b) How can we make it recognise our own software which we bought from shop here in Sydney?

c) How can we make that machine work please?

Because I've got kids on my back every day asking when computer is going to work and they are ussing my computer in office, and I need work to do too. Thats all. And thank you for pointing out to rules you have on you web site. I hope I did not break any.

Regards,

S.G.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Surgical,

I understand that you cannot run the mgadiag utility because the computer is having trouble with its activation---the activation program is msoobe.exe.

What Darin is saying is that this forum supports WGA issues and does not support activation issues.  So what you have to do is use the links that Darin posted to get the support you need for your activation problem.  In fact, WGA programs do not run and cannot work until activation is complete, so those activation issues have to be fixed before WGA comes into play.

If you are experiencing problems with Validation or WGA after your computer is properly activated, come back to this forum because that is what we specialize in.

Good Luck!

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:56 AM
  • OK thanks gents,

I'll follow that link and hopefully it will work.

Sorry Darin it is bit overwhelming, I just not sure where to start.

The whole thing just shut down on me, and all Im trying to do is just right thin.

Thank you.

Regards,

S.G.

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:13 AM
  • No need to say sorry, Surgical. I understand this type of thing can be overwhelming and finding the correct help can sometimes be difficult, but the links I provided should get you the help that you need (and for free )

Good Luck!
    Darin Smith

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:01 PM
  •  

Surgical,

I am not sure if you have found the solution to your problem since it has been a while.

I encountered a problem with the msoobe application as well this morning and searching through the internet (on my notebook as I cannot get into my PC anymore), I chanced upon this thread and kbAlertz where it said that the problem could be caused by IE7. As I have IE7, I uninstalled as instructed and I was able to activate my Windows.

Cheers.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:53 AM
  •  

Uninstalling IE 7 fixes OOBE APPLICATION ERRORS  for 99 % of cases.

Step 1 : Start  > Run > IE 7

Step 2 : Look for Spuninst Folder and access it.

Step 3 : Double Click Spuinst.exe and follow the prompts to uninstall IE 7

Step4 : Restart the computer, Activate windows and Download and Install IE 7

- KUNAL MUDLIYAR, PUNE.  INDIA

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:44 AM
  • didnt work for me.. :(
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:17 PM