Script Error Downloading Live OneCare Scanner & Registry Errors RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but here goes.

I get a script error in the process of downloading the scanner tools.  I just click yes to continue the download of the tools.  As far as I know, the tools (when run) seem to work but I'm still concerned about the error and how that may be affecting the functioning of the tools.  I have been able to consistently reproduce the script error (see below).  Where can or should I report this?  Will this error have a negative effect on the tools function?

Internet Explorer Script Error
    An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    Line:    1
    Char:   1
    Error:   Invalid character
    Code:   0
    URL:     res://C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\wlscBase.dll/script_hig.js
    Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Secondly, the scanner tool cleaned up my laptop except for 5 remaining registry errors that it simply can't seem to fix (even after a second run and a reboot then rerun).  And the reporting from the tool simply states that 5 errors were found but there is no further information as to what I can do to fix those five (and note I am not enough of a tech geek to mess with these on my own).

They are:

HKCR\CLSID\{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\
    HKCR\AcroIEHelper.AcroIEHlprObj.1\
    HKCR\CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}\
    HKCR\AcroIEHelper.AcroIEHlprObj\
    HKCR\TypeLib\{5F226421-415D-408D-9A09-0DCD94E25B48}\

The bottom line is that even a rescan does not result in the scanner fixing these particular registry errors which are all described as COM/ActiveX items.

I'd like to know what I should do about these and also suggest that the scanner tool not leave you hanging with a report indicating that some registry items were found that need fixing but that errors occurred in its attempt to fix them with no further information about what to do about them.

Any help or direction would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

MJS
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:33 PM Off topic.
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:33 PM Off topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate)
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:19 AM

All replies