Memory RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Today I doubled the recommended memory, 512 to 1024, on my WHS.  WOW!  What a difference!  The shared folders now snap open, I don't get bored waiting for the console to open, and file transfers are noticeable faster. If you are running 512, I strongly recommend this small investment.

Microsoft needs to consider 1024 as the minimum memory.  The difference is "it works" or "wow!".

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:25 PM

All replies

• Did you have the HP WHS?

As far as I know, Microsoft recommends 512Mb for the stock configuration of WHS.  But HP pre-loads several other applications and add-ons which consume memory.

I do agree that 768-1024Mb should be the minimum if you intend to use other applications and plugins.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:47 PM
  • I am running a homebuilt with OEM software. One of the reasons I didn't go with the HP is the difficulty in upgrading the memory.  I see that there is some postings on how to do it, but it isn't easy. You really have to tear it apart.

With the 1024 of memory, I am now running several add-ins, a defrag program and even added Sharepoint Services 3.0 without problems or noticeable slowdown. Off all the upgrades I have done on computers, this one provided the most obvious benefit.

Friday, December 21, 2007 2:53 PM