False Status reporting from circle PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     My "Hub" PC is showing me that the "circle" PC is in RED status (anti-virus and firewall turned off) erroneaouslly. The user of the "circle" machine says that the status is green and that all is well. While I was on the phone with this person, the "circle" machine performed an automatic tune up. My PC (the "hub") shows a big red one, with status of Anti- virus and Firewall turned off. My PC also shows that Backup and Tune up have not been performed.
     I see, in other strings, that this symptom has been ongoing for a couple of YEARS.  Is this going to be addressed?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:41 PM

Answers

• Ah! I just re-read your post as it refreshed after I answered.

Your monitored PC is remote. This means that the status must be uploaded to the OneCare servers and back down to your PC. This typically happens frequently throughout the day, but the delay in that round trip can be an hour or more before the status sorts itself out. And, both PCs must be communciating with the OneCare servers.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:05 PM

All replies

• Probably not, since OneCare is going away.
    Announcement 11/18/08

You should have a look at this thread for some possible solutions that have helped in many cases:
    Incorrect Status & False Alarms

Assuming that communications on your network and between PCs is not being hampered in any way, then the most agressive solution that has the highest chance of fixing it is reinstalling OneCare on the Hub and the affected PC.

Personally, I find it easier to simply demote the hub PC to stop monitoring the Circle. This wouldn't be a good solution if you are using Centralized Backup, though.

-steve

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Ah! I just re-read your post as it refreshed after I answered.

Your monitored PC is remote. This means that the status must be uploaded to the OneCare servers and back down to your PC. This typically happens frequently throughout the day, but the delay in that round trip can be an hour or more before the status sorts itself out. And, both PCs must be communciating with the OneCare servers.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:05 PM