Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM not valid, get message: The product key found on this computer is not valid for use in your region. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have purchased a Windows XP SP2 OEM, I have done a fresh install which included formatting the HD, but when i go to validate windows I get the message: The product key found on this computer is not valid for use in your region.  I've run the WGA diag tool & got the results below:

So my Windows product Key below does not match what i entered when installing, I entered the product key from the COA, I am just wondering why they do not match ???

Also, if it is not valid for my region, is it possible to change the regional options to another region to get it to work & then change back ???

Or is it just a simple fact that i cannot use this disk as it is really a volume license & not really OEM ???

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: xxxxx-xxx-8834005-23479
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {FD8F7589-360B-4FC3-84BD-2A72BC31B0B6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{FD8F7589-360B-4FC3-84BD-2A72BC31B0B6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23479</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1417001333-115176313-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Optima</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020118000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>242B379F0184C04E</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 10064:Optima Technology Solutions|10064:Optima Technology Solutions|13DA0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|13DA0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|13DA0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:44 PM

Answers

• Hello luapbbor,

Here is a snippet of the Windows portion of the mgadiag report:

WGA Data-->

You wrote, "Or is it just a simple fact that i cannot use this disk as it is really a volume license & not really OEM??"

Yes, that's it.  You mentioned that you purchased what you thought was an OEM copy of XP, but what was installed by the materials you purchased is a volume licensing installation of XP Pro with a geographically blocked PID.

A geographically blocked PID is a Volume Licensing Key that has been lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet, and to help stop the unauthorized use the this product key, Microsoft and the legitimate key holding organization have agreed to block the product key in areas/regions of the world where the legitimate keyholding organization does not have a presence.

Please check your materials for these common indicators of counterfeit software:

1.  The CD's hologram has "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC" or similar wording on the label, characteristic of a systembuilder/OEM Windows CD, but the CD actually installs a Volume Licensing copy of Windows XP.

2.  The CD's hologram is a thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD instead of being embedded within the plastic of the CD.  A genuine CD has the hologram within the plastic of the CD.

3.  Navigate to the \i386 folder on the CD and locate the setupp.ini file.  This is a small text file with two sections.  In the second section the last line is similar to this:  Pid=XXXXX-XXX.  A genuine OEM CD would have the letters "OEM" where the ast three Xs are.  A counterfeit OEM CD usually has the values associated with Volume Licensing where the Xs are, such as the number "270" or any value between "640" and "649" inclusive.

4.  The thin blue pamphlet may have typographical errors and misspellings, while the genuine pamphlet does not.

5.  The Certificate of Authenticity has a product key printed on it that, if entered into the Product Key Updater Utility, comes back as Invalid.

For further explanation of the above indicators and to see examples of counterfeit and genuine materials, visit this Microsoft site:  www.howtotell.com.

If your materials display any or all of these indicators, please return the materials to the place of purchase and demand a refund, as you have been sold counterfeit software.  If the seller will not cooperate, please pursue whatever remedies are made available to you by law, by method of payment, or by the rules of the selling venue.

If the seller does not help you, you can participate in the Windows Genuine Offer, which can provide discounted or complimentary replacements for your nongenuine software.  Please have a look at the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EFIAC  If you choose to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer, please initiate your participation by clicking the Learn More Online links in the nongenuine notices being displayed on your screen.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:13 PM

All replies

• Hello luapbbor,

Here is a snippet of the Windows portion of the mgadiag report:

WGA Data-->

You wrote, "Or is it just a simple fact that i cannot use this disk as it is really a volume license & not really OEM??"

Yes, that's it.  You mentioned that you purchased what you thought was an OEM copy of XP, but what was installed by the materials you purchased is a volume licensing installation of XP Pro with a geographically blocked PID.

A geographically blocked PID is a Volume Licensing Key that has been lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet, and to help stop the unauthorized use the this product key, Microsoft and the legitimate key holding organization have agreed to block the product key in areas/regions of the world where the legitimate keyholding organization does not have a presence.

Please check your materials for these common indicators of counterfeit software:

1.  The CD's hologram has "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC" or similar wording on the label, characteristic of a systembuilder/OEM Windows CD, but the CD actually installs a Volume Licensing copy of Windows XP.

2.  The CD's hologram is a thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD instead of being embedded within the plastic of the CD.  A genuine CD has the hologram within the plastic of the CD.

3.  Navigate to the \i386 folder on the CD and locate the setupp.ini file.  This is a small text file with two sections.  In the second section the last line is similar to this:  Pid=XXXXX-XXX.  A genuine OEM CD would have the letters "OEM" where the ast three Xs are.  A counterfeit OEM CD usually has the values associated with Volume Licensing where the Xs are, such as the number "270" or any value between "640" and "649" inclusive.

4.  The thin blue pamphlet may have typographical errors and misspellings, while the genuine pamphlet does not.

5.  The Certificate of Authenticity has a product key printed on it that, if entered into the Product Key Updater Utility, comes back as Invalid.

For further explanation of the above indicators and to see examples of counterfeit and genuine materials, visit this Microsoft site:  www.howtotell.com.

If your materials display any or all of these indicators, please return the materials to the place of purchase and demand a refund, as you have been sold counterfeit software.  If the seller will not cooperate, please pursue whatever remedies are made available to you by law, by method of payment, or by the rules of the selling venue.

If the seller does not help you, you can participate in the Windows Genuine Offer, which can provide discounted or complimentary replacements for your nongenuine software.  Please have a look at the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EFIAC  If you choose to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer, please initiate your participation by clicking the Learn More Online links in the nongenuine notices being displayed on your screen.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks heaps for the info, i'll double check the disk etc.... when i get home from work. I guess i'm just a bit confused as to why the mgadiag report shows my product key to be different to be the one i installed with.

Cheers,

Paul.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Hello luapbbor,

If the product key reported by the mgadiag utility is different from the one on the Certificate of Authenticity, try changing the product key to the one on the CoA by using the Product Key Updater Utility:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Hey Dan,

I already tried that & get this error message:

"The product key entered is not a vaild key for this system Please check
    it for typing errors & try again"

I tried entering it a number of times & double checked I wasn't typing it wrong but still get the same error message.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Hello Luapbbor,

Remember, this is a counterfeit copy of Windows XP Pro OEM, so the counterfeiters can put any random combination of 25 alphanumeric characters on their fake CoA.

The updater utility's error message is it's way of saying that it does not understand what it is supposed to do with the product key because the key matches none of the algorithms it is supposed to check for, and is nowhere to be found on MS's key servers.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Hey Dan,

I have checked the setup.ini file from the \i386 folder on the CD & Pid=55274270, so this is definitley not genuine.

Thanks a lot for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:38 AM