Registry Cleaner in 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I like using the registry cleaner that the onecare safety scanner has on the web, but was curious why the full installed version does not offer it and could it be added in 2.0?  Just curious. Smile

I know registry cleaning carries some small inherent risks, but I can safely confirm that I have been using only the registry cleaner portion of the onecare safety scanner via the web every week without any problems or negative repercussions along with my full install of system onecare - going on a year now.  I do not think the reg scanner that onecare safety scanner has is too picky like other reg cleaners like Registry Booster which caused problems on my old computer.  I really think it should be offered in the full version and if there is a concern leave it disabled so the user can enable it optionally 'at their own risk'.  On that note I don't get why the free online version would get a better functionality than my paid counterpart... it seems backwards.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:12 AM

Answers

• OneCare is designed to be a simple to use foolproof protection suite, completely automated whenever possible. A registry cleaner always requires some level of user interaction and understanding, which make it a bad match for the OneCare user base.

Actually, the online manually operated OneCare application is the most appropriate place to provide this, since it's free, interactive and automatically updates itself when used. Keeping a registry cleaner current would require much overhead, which would be completely pointless if it were unused by most.

I think you're mistaking a perceived need for features with true value. I personally believe that the 'Startup Cleaner' which is being provided as part of OneCare 2.0 is far more valuable than a complete registry cleaner ever could be.

OneCareBear

Saturday, October 13, 2007 4:30 AM

All replies

• I hope you don't mind, but when I saw this thread I had to say something. I used to use registry cleaners and found them more trouble than they were worth. When I used the online scanner that you talk about I thought since it is Microsoft what can go wrong. Well it did in that the registry cleaner took out an important part of Norton Internet Security 2007 that I had on my computer. I had to reinstate the registry backup to get Norton to work properly. I do not use Norton anymore and have OneCare installed. The moral of the story at least from my experience with registry cleaners is to treat them with the up most of caution, by that I mean check every individual item the cleaner comes up with to see if it is still relevant to your system. If by chance you think that your registry needs to be edited take it to a professional and get it done.

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:13 PM
  •  

I only registry scan or suggest it if one does a lot of software installing and uninstalling since the reg starts to become a graveyard.  Then again over the last year that I have been using the reg cleaner on top of the full onecare use weekly, I have noticed general internet use cause some mysterious reg entires to appear at different total ammounts each week which have to be from spyware or similar as I generally only surf the same mainstream commercial sites often.  I'm not talking about the non-threatening cookie-like entries either that the reg cleaner always finds by default and ignores when it comes to initial removal. 

Either way doing a reg cleaning often or not, it does seem a bit backwards both in functionality and ethically to only have this feature in the free onecare product.  It still could be an optional feature in the full version for those who are extremely experienced with computers or consider themselves professional (if according to an 'opinion' is an IT or similar degree).  Ethically I can understand the reason for it not being included because the Onecare team does not want paid users to assume them responsible for any reg cleaning gone bad, but... that risk isn't even expressed to users of the free Onecare Safety Scanner's reg cleaning option.  All it says on the Safety Scanner under reg cleaning is, "Scans your computer for stray data left behind by applications after they are removed, helping get your computer clean and performing at its best."  If not including it in the full paid version is because of this concern, why is this not expressed in the free cleaner if it is so 'at your own risk.'  See why it feels a bit backwards?

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:45 PM
  • OneCare is designed to be a simple to use foolproof protection suite, completely automated whenever possible. A registry cleaner always requires some level of user interaction and understanding, which make it a bad match for the OneCare user base.

Actually, the online manually operated OneCare application is the most appropriate place to provide this, since it's free, interactive and automatically updates itself when used. Keeping a registry cleaner current would require much overhead, which would be completely pointless if it were unused by most.

I think you're mistaking a perceived need for features with true value. I personally believe that the 'Startup Cleaner' which is being provided as part of OneCare 2.0 is far more valuable than a complete registry cleaner ever could be.

OneCareBear

Saturday, October 13, 2007 4:30 AM
  • I think that you are right in what you say. Registry cleaners are constantly updated and are sometimes more aggressive in what they do and therefore must be treated with the up most respect. Since Vista came out they have been trying to catch up and in some cases not doing a good job in doing so. I have found a good article on Ed Botts website that might be of some interest http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

This might provide some insight into the subject. 

Saturday, October 13, 2007 10:52 AM
  • I understand that perspective completely and when you put it that way it does make more sense when you look at it from the demographic of Onecare's main user base.  If the online version of reg clean auto updates itself and saves overhead from what would otherwise be a mostly optionally used feature in the full version makes sense.  I am not aware of what new features are included in 2.0, but if they are better than what is becoming a casual monthly reg clean then that is wonderful... especially a startup cleaner.  I do not doubt the Onecare products quality at all as it has been the best security/anti-virus/spyware program I have ever used, which says a lot because I find most other products in this platform a nightmare to work with.  I was just curious as to why a feature in the free version was not offered at all in the paid - now I know.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:48 AM
  • Why?, Why is the "Startup Cleaner" far more valuable than a complete registry cleaner ever could be."?????  I too was wondering why your registry cleaner is not included in the full OneCare application.  I understand the reason now after reading the posts, but I still don't understand what the "Startup Cleaner" is and why it is, in your words, "far more valuable than a complete registry cleaner ever could be."  What's different about it?   I've used the free Registry Cleaner scan on all three of our Sony Vaio's, with XP Pro and Vista Ultimate and I think it's wonderful.  It's the only Registry cleaner that hasn't totally screwed up our computers and it has helped to keep all 3 of our laptops in smooth runrning order.  In fact, it was the primary reason I was about to subscribe to the full OneCare service, until I realized that the Registry cleaner was not included.  Now I'm hesitating.  I'm not sure why the full OneCare service is better then Norton 360 or similar Norton products.  Can you respond to your competition and explain to us lay people why OneCare is better then Norton 360?

Looking forward to your reply.  Thank you for your time.  JMP

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:28 AM