Dashboard Crashes During Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 dashboard consistently crashes (if it is open on either the server or on a client PC) during server backup. The Dashboard log reports along the following lines in each instance:

[4464] 120202.230752.7697: Dashboard.Forms: !!!!FATAL: Dashboard shutting down due to unhandled exception: Parameter is not valid.
    [4464] 120202.230752.9101: Dashboard.Forms: System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
    at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)
    at System.Drawing.Icon.ToBitmap()
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Internal.IconCache.GetIconHash(Icon icon)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Internal.IconCache.GetCachedIcon(Icon icon)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Internal.IconProxy..ctor(Icon icon)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Internal.IconProxy.Create(Icon icon)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Internal.ExceptionHandler.Run[T](ProtectedCallback`1 action)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.PageContent.ListPageContent`1.GetObjectIcon(Object businessObject)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsView.OnObjectSelected(Object sender, ObjectSelectedEventArgs args)
    at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
    at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.AdminListView.OnObjectSelected(Object sender, ObjectSelectedEventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.AdminListView.DequeuePendingItems()
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.AdminListView.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Program.Main()
    [4464] 120202.230805.2332: AlertFramework: Subcomponent: NetworkAlertManager > Manager is disposed.

I'm a novice at this and I'm really not sure what to make of the above log. The only other information I can offer is that I managed to get a dialogue box to open during the opening of the Dashboard following such a crash that suggested the issue may reside with the Computers and Backup add-in, but I doubt this given I'm struggling to find any other user with similar problems and the Computers and Backup add-in is a standard add-in supplied with the software.

Any assistance gratefully received... Thank you in advance!

Shake it up - Create something extraordinary!
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:15 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using the functionality in the dashboard to repair the backup database? If not, please do.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I tried this, but the Wizard didn't find any errors... In any case, I don't think this would solve the problem anyway as the Backup Database Repair function is only for Client PC backups and my problem appears to specifically relate to SERVER backups (at least I think it does!). Any other suggestions?

Shake it up - Create something extraordinary!
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:23 PM