Printer hsharing with Vista SP1 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Using OneCare we were able to print to our HP600 & 5550 printers and share files, although it was a bit hit and miss. The main computer is Windows XP SP3 RC2

The Laptop is Vista and we have just installed Vista SP1 and immedialtey we could reliably sharee files and use the HP 660, but the HP 5550 goes to print queue and no furrther

I have tried various obvious things. HP sel check says driver OK on laptop

If on laptop I refresh printer list with OneCare on laptop it finds both printers but says it has fialed to install and will keep trying yet HP 600 works

If on laptop I manage printers indvidually the HP 660 is shown to be ready but HP 5550 is shown as not connected to server

On the main computer I am not really getting consitent messages - it syas no printers avaiable for laptop

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:44 AM

Answers

• Steve

I did all those things but everything was as you said it should be.

So I deleted the printer and added it again and it is OK now!

However, I still cannot see the other computer form my maoin one - although this does not mater to me much.

When I suggested a sticky I meant every possible setting!

There are a load ticked or not ticked where I have no idea whether they are are safe/unsafe or convneient/inconvenient

For instance the following are connected

Unidentified Connection Automatic tunnelling PS

Unidentified Connection 6to4 PseudoInterface

Then there are all those boxes in Ports & Protocols - I would not know if one being ticked made my computer unsafe

I do not want to give  you a load of work but someone at Microsft must know what they all mean and could share the info!

Ray
    Monday, March 31, 2008 6:50 PM

All replies

• Ray, are you using the OneCare printer sharing feature in a Circle with OneCare on both machines or is OneCare only on the laptop?

Are the printers both attached to the XP machine? Is the XP machine running OneCare?

If you turn off the OneCare firewall on the laptop  can it print?

If you turn off the OneCare firewall on the XP machine, assuming OneCare is installed on it, does printing from the Vista laptop work?

You mentioned sharing files. Does this also mean that sharing files is hit or miss from the wireless laptop to and from the XP desktop?

Have you gone into OneCare and on the firewall tab, advanced, ports and protocols? Have you placed a check mark next to the File and Printer Sharing Internet and subnet option? (The local network one is checked by default if the network is defined as Home or Work.)

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Steve, I think I have all the settings as they should be, particualry the ones you have highlighted.

Onecare is on both computers.

The desktop computer is my hub computer with Windows XP SP3 RC2. It is hard wired to the router

The lap top is Vista SP1 and is radio connected to the router.

The problem printer HP 5550 is USB connected to the desktop and is working fine from it.

Before SP1 we had frequent losses of connection from the laptop and we could sometimes open files on the main computer using htelaptop, its seemed to depend on how you did it, but not in any logical way.

Apart form the HP5550 problem it seems better now

I have not tried to open laptop  files from the hub PC but I just tried now and hte option does not seem to be available

Turning off both firewalls makes no difference

The hub PC One car reports no printers on the laptop even though I can print from it so their is something wrong somewhere

I am confused about some of the firewall settings a sticky guide to every option would be useful !

Monday, March 31, 2008 4:50 PM
  • The firewall settings are almost as confusing as the backup process, but not quite. I agree that you probably have most of the options set correctly, but for file sharing to work, you'd need to have a Share on the laptop for the desktop to access. Since turning off the firewall made no difference, I believe that the lack of File Sharing is down to not having a Share created.

I'll past the "boilerplate" for sharing settings in OneCare below, though most are probably set properly for you.

It isn't a "sticky" at this point, but it is a bit of text that seems to set people in the right direction in 2.0.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable them in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

Since we're in the Printer Sharing topic of the forum - specific to OneCare Printer Sharing functionality, I'll also refer you to the Printer Sharing tab in OneCare under Change Settings. If any PC in the Circle has an attached USB printer, and the setting to share the printer is checked on that tab in OneCare, it should be available to all other PCs in the Circle with one exception. A 64 bit machine and a 32 bit machine can't share a printer using the OneCare feature for this due to driver issues. If your machines are running 32 bit Vista and XP, you should, in theory, be able to share printers more readily within your circle.

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Steve

I did all those things but everything was as you said it should be.

So I deleted the printer and added it again and it is OK now!

However, I still cannot see the other computer form my maoin one - although this does not mater to me much.

When I suggested a sticky I meant every possible setting!

There are a load ticked or not ticked where I have no idea whether they are are safe/unsafe or convneient/inconvenient

For instance the following are connected

Unidentified Connection Automatic tunnelling PS

Unidentified Connection 6to4 PseudoInterface

Then there are all those boxes in Ports & Protocols - I would not know if one being ticked made my computer unsafe

I do not want to give  you a load of work but someone at Microsft must know what they all mean and could share the info!

Ray
    Monday, March 31, 2008 6:50 PM
  • I knew what you meant regarding the sticky. :-) It is more than I can commit to, though! In the back of my mind - or maybe that's the back burner - is an idea to flesh out what is on the OneCare Wiki or create a personal OneCare oriented blog where I can host screenshots. One day. When I have time!

Where do you see the Unidentified connections? Which PC, that is, and in OneCare? Are they shown as connected with a green dot?

(I'll be back online later tonight or tomorrow morning....)

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Steve

These coonections are on the desktop Win XP computer in OneCare and yes green dots

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Those are there for IPv6 functionality, I believe. You apparently installed the advanced networking update for XP via Windows Update (optional) at some point. Not a problem.

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:11 PM