i3 4gb overkill? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,
    I was pricing out parts to build a server, is a core i3 (the cheapest one) with 2-4GB of ram overkill for windows home server? Or will it be good to have for future updates? I imagine within the next 3 or so years a new version of WHS with more demanding requirements will come out.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:27 AM not a technical question
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:41 PM

All replies

• I would think if you buy an inexpensive but modern processor and 2 to 4 GB of RAM you'll be safe for the next couple of years. As for specifics, you know better than us what you want to do with your future server, so you're the best judge of how much performance you'll actually need.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Core i3 is more than enough. Since its LGA 1156 too, it should upgrade fairly well. It's also 64-bit, which will support 64-bit Server 2008 R2 (base for WHSv2 aka "Vail")
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:51 AM
  • I use 4 Gb in my WHS-machine too, as I run one virtual machine which is given 2Gb. The memory for the virtual machine is taken out of the real memory in the WHS-box, leaving it with about 2Gb to work with. As it needs around 1Gb of memory in my current setup I have some memory to spare. If I chose to buy 3Gb I'd have a shortage most of the time.

Therefore: make a plan of the intended use and applications you will use now and in the future, do some adding up and you have your minimum requirements. On the other hand you could just buy 4Gb of 800Mhz memory, it's dirtcheap right now and slower memory costs the same as faster types, or roughly the same.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:53 PM
  • I was thinking myself that a Core i3 or one of the new dual core i5's would make a nice WHS.   With socket 1156 evidently becoming Intel's "mainstream" socket, you should be future proof for a few years.  DDR3 RAM is cheap so why not spec up.   Multicore + lots of RAM should let the server easily serve up several streams of content.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Just read your post and I looking at a similar setup dual core i5 661/2.33ghz cpu which is good with video streaming according to the reviews in Maximum's PC review on Lynchfield/Clarkdale chips. For a Mobo was look at an Agus P7P55D-E Premium board seen here: http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_P7P55DEPREM or the P7P55D-Deluxe board: http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_P7P55DDELUX 
    Both boards offer 6 or 7 SATA II ports with 2 running at 6.0 ghz. Also USB 3.0 {Super USB}.

I can put up to 16gigs of ram with the "Sweet spot" at 4-6gigs for "Vail" WHS v2 64 bits. The only thing missing would be a good 3dvideo card and I have a descent Game rig.

With some carefully shopping I could bring down the price JR is selling the electronics for and there policy is to match any price.

This is going to be my first WHS build and any comments would help.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Are you building a gaming machine or a Home Server? If you will use WHS software it would most probably be used as a headless box, so no videocard will be nessessary.
    Video streaming depends more on your throughput speeds of your network components. A Blu-Ray will send roughly 25Mbit/s through your network. Basically a 100Mbit network is fast enough, it just annoys the **** out of you when you want to move large files.
    I really like WHS and Windows 7!
    Friday, January 29, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Are you building a gaming machine or a Home Server? 
    Well I am working on both but want to do the Home Sever first with the best of what out there. And later build a cheaper box as a server and turn the P7P55D-E_ board into a Game rig, all I have to do is change software and drives. If it works as well as I hope I may leave it that way and build a second machine only as a game/media pc using the same hardware.
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 2:40 AM