Custom Mail merge functionality MS CRM- Please suggest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is my business scenario :

"Member" entity (Contacts) stores all the information of the members. There are two kinds of members - Principal & Dependant member. A principal can have n number of dependants. Each record stores the information of only one member, irrespective of the number of dependants. So, if a member has 2 dependants, two separate records are created. The requirement is, I need to do a mail merge where I should populate the principal as well as the dependants' fee structure. The problem is, I cannot map the fields in CRM as the number of dependants can by anything and the dependants' details should be populated dynamically. This is typically for sending a renewal letter to members, along their fee details...

The template looks like this....

Principal Name, DOB, Fee Details

1 yr   $404
    2 yr   $800
    3 yr   $1100

Dependant Name, DOB, Fee Details

1 yr   $404
    2 yr   $800
    3 yr   $1100

The problem is, if there are 4 dependants, the system should automatically find that there are 4 dependants and generate their fee information and print it in the mail merge. Ofcourse, there is an option to indicate if the record is created for a principal or a dependant while creating a new member record. If we create a dependant record, there is an option to choose the pricipal member in the form. All these things are handled at the customization level. My concern is, how can I do a mail merge if I don't know how many dependants are there? I will not be able to map the data fields and hence I don't know if mail merge itself is a good idea. Please suggest if you have any ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance....

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:52 AM

Answers

• I would suggest you to create page which handles all your business logic and then invokes the CRM email functionality to pass the corresponding details to the email record.

Finally you can embedd your custom page in to CRM on your required entity Grid.

Refer

<cite>nishantrana.wordpress.com/.../creating-and-sending-email-in-crm/</cite>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb267367.aspx

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:10 AM

All replies

• I would suggest you to create page which handles all your business logic and then invokes the CRM email functionality to pass the corresponding details to the email record.

Finally you can embedd your custom page in to CRM on your required entity Grid.

Refer

<cite>nishantrana.wordpress.com/.../creating-and-sending-email-in-crm/</cite>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb267367.aspx

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Hi Vinoth,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. It sounds like a good idea, but the users won't send emails. They want mail-merge word documents, which they can print out later and send hard copies to the members. Any idea of how to go about this requirement?

Thanks!
    Gowri Shankar

Gowri Shankar Microsoft CRM Tech Lead
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:32 AM
  • I think you wont be able to acheive this format, Since you need to obtain the related entity details and display in a induvidual sector for each entity.

You can try using Template of similar pattern and make a try.

Reagrding filter the values you can register the plugin to obtain the fetchxml, modify it and filter your data. Below are the plugin details

Primary Entity : none
    Secondary Entity : none
    Mode : syncronous

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Actually, I've now decided to create an aspx page and display all the results in it. The aspx page will have all the data in it in the appropriate format ie., from the records created, we display this page on click of a button, where the query fetches the principal member and displays the dependants' details in the aspx. Then I need to move all those contents of the aspxto a word doc. Is there a way to move those contents to a word document?
    Gowri Shankar Microsoft CRM Tech Lead
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:50 AM