Incorrect capacity report RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the OS (3790) with one HDD (and DVD-ROM) on one IDE, and two HDD on the other.  The console in the OS and on the remote computer(s) report the total storage properly (1TB + 40GB).  When I go to move huge files onto the server, the remote computer will tell me I only have 29-or-so GB free.  I have tried EVERY possible workaround or fix I can think of including using an SCSI PCI card for any combination of the drives on install - NOTHING.  I've added and removed the two initial drives as well as other drives - no change.  Any thoughts?
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:26 AM

Answers

• I take it that the 40 GB drive is your primary or system drive? You are experiencing a known limitation of the way Drive Extender works in managing files and disks.

When you install WHS (not reinstall, that's a different kettle of fish), it formats all drives in the system and creates one partition on each, except the system drive. On that drive, it creates two partitions, a 10 GB C: which contains the operating system, and D:, which is the primary data partition.

When you copy a file to a WHS network share, it first lands on the data partition. From there, Drive Extender moves it to another drive in the system, if one is available.

In your case, assuming you installed on the 40 GB drive, the C: partition takes up 10 GB. That leaves slightly less than 30 GB on the D: partition. That is the largest file that you can copy to your WHS. This limitation is why the installation instructions tell you to use your largest drive as the system drive, with a recommended minimum size of 80 GB.

The only fix for this is to move drives around and do a fresh installation of WHS onto one of the larger drives.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:38 AM
  • That's more of a Vista issue. You select 60 GB of files, any of which would fit if copied one at a time. You drag them over to a share on WHS. Vista sees that there's only "30 GB of space free" on the share, and chokes.

Fixing it on the WHS side might be possible, but it would require two things. First, it would require changes to the SMB support in Windows Server 2003 to report the same thing as the WHS console. Second, it would require Drive Extender to hook into SMB, networking and the file system to throttle file transfers to prevent the physical D: drive from filling up, or alternatively to redirect file transfers on the fly.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:56 PM

All replies

• I take it that the 40 GB drive is your primary or system drive? You are experiencing a known limitation of the way Drive Extender works in managing files and disks.

When you install WHS (not reinstall, that's a different kettle of fish), it formats all drives in the system and creates one partition on each, except the system drive. On that drive, it creates two partitions, a 10 GB C: which contains the operating system, and D:, which is the primary data partition.

When you copy a file to a WHS network share, it first lands on the data partition. From there, Drive Extender moves it to another drive in the system, if one is available.

In your case, assuming you installed on the 40 GB drive, the C: partition takes up 10 GB. That leaves slightly less than 30 GB on the D: partition. That is the largest file that you can copy to your WHS. This limitation is why the installation instructions tell you to use your largest drive as the system drive, with a recommended minimum size of 80 GB.

The only fix for this is to move drives around and do a fresh installation of WHS onto one of the larger drives.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:38 AM
  • Ah, here's the rub.  On the most recent install (about 2 hours ago), before I made the machine headless, I tried connecting to it with a remote computer.  All 1000+ GB were present and available for storage; Windows Shares was reporting the proper capacity.  I cut the cords and suddenly I lose two drives'-worth of capacity, yet all Consoles report the right capacity.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:49 AM
  • The console only reports the total available space in the storage pool. It doesn't tell you how much space is free on each drive.

If you have a 40 GB system drive, then even if the WHS console shows you have 10 TB of free space, the largest file you will ever be able to copy to WHS is still less than 30 GB. If you map a drive (for example to the Users share), you'll see that the free space reported on that drive will be somewhat less than 30 GB.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Understood. But, why is it that I can't put more than 40 GB worth of smaller files (350-meg TV shows) onto the server? My Vista machine will total up the available destination space and the total size of the files to be transferred then deny my request for lack of free space.  And like I said earlier, the I tried mapping a network drive before making the server headless and the size of that drive was right.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:36 PM
  • That's more of a Vista issue. You select 60 GB of files, any of which would fit if copied one at a time. You drag them over to a share on WHS. Vista sees that there's only "30 GB of space free" on the share, and chokes.

Fixing it on the WHS side might be possible, but it would require two things. First, it would require changes to the SMB support in Windows Server 2003 to report the same thing as the WHS console. Second, it would require Drive Extender to hook into SMB, networking and the file system to throttle file transfers to prevent the physical D: drive from filling up, or alternatively to redirect file transfers on the fly.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:56 PM
  • i have run into this problem also, with the new beta added another

western digital 250G hard drive and it only reports it as 128G

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:30 PM
  • I am having this exact same problem with WHS RC (3790).  I have a 146GB SCSI and 300GB SCSI that I let WHS prepare/format at the same time during the installation process.  It reports as ~400GB available from the console, yet when seen as a mapped share from my XP client boxes, they only indicate 40GB or so free now that I've tried to fill up the server.  Only one of the two drives has the little Windows logo on them from the console, yet is shows both as being used and balanced.  This appears to be WHS just not passing along the correct info.  I have a feeling that if I installed this on the initial drive and got everything going, and then added the second this may not happen.  Will try when I get some time.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 6:32 PM
  • The other thing is to give it some time after the initial installation and\or data load. I know on mine, I was getting wildly different free space reporting for about 48 hours. At one point, I was even getting the "less than 5gb free" message. However, I didn't have time to investigate that night, and then the next morning, all was well.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:34 PM