Can I upgrade the 'system' hard disk? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of upgrading my EX470's hard drives. I've left the system drive for last.

Can I remove this hard drive just as I would the others, or is there another process I have to go through? Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:25 AM

Answers

• Will Diaz said:

I'm in the process of upgrading my EX470's hard drives. I've left the system drive for last.

Can I remove this hard drive just as I would the others, or is there another process I have to go through? Thank you.

No.  In order to replace the system hard drive, you must do a Server Recovery.  That is a special installation mode that will install WHS on the new hard drive, but leave the rest of the data in tact.  You should check your manual for more details on how to do a Server Recovery.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:33 AM

All replies

• Will Diaz said:

I'm in the process of upgrading my EX470's hard drives. I've left the system drive for last.

No.  In order to replace the system hard drive, you must do a Server Recovery.  That is a special installation mode that will install WHS on the new hard drive, but leave the rest of the data in tact.  You should check your manual for more details on how to do a Server Recovery.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:33 AM
  • Thank you very much.

I came across this post with more details: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cdb387f1-9baa-4ae3-a74b-ff351dc1c0bf/

I'm a bit apprehensive about doing this, but I don't want that 640GB drive to go to waste.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Will Diaz said:

Thank you very much.

I came across this post with more details: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cdb387f1-9baa-4ae3-a74b-ff351dc1c0bf/

I'm a bit apprehensive about doing this, but I don't want that 640GB drive to go to waste.

No space "goes to waste" on WHS.  It will use all space available on every drive in the server.  What makes you think you will lose space?
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I mean that I would rather not have to perform a server recovery just to add my fourth HDD to the server. However, if I don't, that HDD would go to waste.

I also found that the manual doesn't have anything on performing a server recovery, so I'm searching online for steps on how to do so.

Edit: I am surprised at how difficult it was for me to find this online:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01213381&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548164&lang=en

So this means that I have to recover the server, reinstall PP1, and then uninstall and reinstall the connector software on five PCs. What a pain, I thought upgrading HDDs was supposed to be easy.
    • Edited by Will Diaz Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:23 AM b/c
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hi,
    no need to uninstall and reinstall the connector software on all PCs, only on one, which is needed for initial configuration. (Although it might be better to power down the remaining PCs or at least stop the Connector software and service on any of the other PCs while doing the recovery.)
    After the server recovery and all updates are completed, run discovery.exe in c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on each of the client PCs (after they have been rebooted).
    If the connector software version on the client PCs still matches the version on the fresh installed Windows Home Server this will reestablish the connection to the server without having to reinstall.
    Why it is still so relatively complicated? You should be aware, that a server recovery due to a broken harddisk or a damaged OS is already a hard disaster. Since you plan to swap the disk, there may also be data on drive D:, which is not preserved during a server recovery to a new drive. So you still may loose client backups or files, which are not located in duplicated folders.
    This FAQ shows, how to recover such files (as long as the disk is not part of the storage pool again).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:40 AM
  • You are right Olaf, it really isn't that hard. I was just complaining b/c I had the very unrealistic expectation that the system hard drive would be just as easy to replace as the other ones.

HP's own instructions say that I had to reinstall the connector software on each client; knowing that I only have to do it on one is good news. I will read through your FAQ so that I know as much as possible before I upgrade that HDD.

Thank you very much!
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:16 AM