Upgrading 3.0 callouts to 4.0 plugins? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we're preparing for a 4.0 upgrade and I was wondering if there is a tool to convert 3.0 callout code to 4.0 plug-ins?  I realize that there are many different events in the 4.0 plugin model, but it would be great if we could seemlessly upgrade.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:47 PM

Answers

• There are no code conversion tools, and I wouldn't expect there to be any, as the callout and plug-in models are very different. CRM 3.0 callout code should work fine with CRM 4.0 (though check the CRM 4.0 SDK to see if your code does something that's no longer supported - e.g. interact with workflow) but is highly unlikely to be supported in CRM 5.0

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• There are no code conversion tools, and I wouldn't expect there to be any, as the callout and plug-in models are very different. CRM 3.0 callout code should work fine with CRM 4.0 (though check the CRM 4.0 SDK to see if your code does something that's no longer supported - e.g. interact with workflow) but is highly unlikely to be supported in CRM 5.0

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I have a 3.0 callout

I am not able to register it even though it worked as as a callout in crm 4.

When I try registering it with the registration tool.  It will not register.  The reason is that the callout is crmnodetype assembly and the tool is looking for a plugin type.  So I'm guessing that I do have to rewrite the callout.  Anyone else run into this?

Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Your 3.0 callouts work in CRM 4.0 with minimal to 0 (zero) code change.  You don't need to register your callout as a plugin and in fact you cannot.  Your options are to either leave it as a callout and leave it alone until we see what happens with version 5.0, or you change the code now so that it works as a plugin and not a callout any more.

Here is a link to a blog post that discusses upgrading custom code from 3.0 to 4.0:

http://dmcrm.blogspot.com/2008/02/upgrading-custom-code-from-30-to-40.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Fronk

Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:17 AM