none
Do you prefer video or software for training? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have used both and while I like them, not sure which will be best for training and to pass certifications. What is your experience? Here is the material I am referring to: REMOVED LINK (when you sign up you get access to their free stuff)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• I like the software best, it is a lot cheaper and more convenience than a bootcamp or class and yet I really learn and grasp the material. That was a good link tho, thank you for that. Here is REMOVED LINK you may want to try.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I do not use either. I stick to the books and practice. That is the best way to really learn something: Learning by doing!

And if I really want to use any software, then I stick to MeasureUp / SelfTestSoftware. Both are certified gold partner and are linked by Microsoft. That is a reference that I trust.

With the MSDN Newsletter if I remember correctly is a areference to learndevnow.com (Hope the url is correct) and they offer a lot of training videos for a fixed price. I tested it and it was made nicely but I had to find out that I do not like such videos (So the money spend on the subscription there was wasted for me). But if you like to learn with videos it is a very nice offer and I think that it had a good quality.

That is my experience with this topic.

And I just opened technologycerts.com. The content seems to be simply outdated and I would not spend a buck there. Sorry, but realy check other offers if you want to buy something. There are a lot of nice offers available and you normaly find links on the pages of Microsoft (e.g. the links to measureup.com and selftestsoftware.com on the exam pages at the referenced study materials!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:25 PM
    Answerer
  • This looks like a bit shifty so I am going to clean up this thread a bit and then leave it for open discussion. Please give your feedback on products. I will keep an eye on it and if it gets too spammy, I will lock the thread

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links

Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Keep in mind that each of us learns differently.  Some will learn through simply reading and doing the exercises and provided testing, as Konrad notes.  Others may find the use of both books and computer based training videos a better combination.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:18 PM
    Answerer
  • As I am fairly new to the MCDT course I have signed up for, I have found very little material provided.

I suppose you get what you pay for.

I do have videos from CBT Nuggets passed on by a good friend of mine, and some Trainsignal clips to help.

I am going through the videos on Microsofts Technet MCTS: 70-680 – Windows 7 Exam Study Video Links so kindly provided by Andrew Barnes, (sourced through another blog), using Microsofts Virtual Labs, self training with Virtual PC's (XP & Server 2008).

However, I am unable to source labs for actuall upgrading virtual PC's using all the methods stated in the exams.

Not having the ability to use what I have learnt so far does hamper my progression and leaving me questioning, have I got it right?

I am the type of person that learns from my mistakes and would like to see what happens when one gets it wrong, so I know how to fix it, or create a workaround.

Being from an Electronics background, it is the practical aspect that helps learn the quickest and not just reading or watching videos.

Personally, it is the practical study material that I find best, and that is what I seek.

So if anyone could assist, I would greatly appreciate it

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:44 PM