VS 2012 Graphics Diagnostics RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am writing a desktop win32 app using C++ & D3D11 and am running on Windows 8.

My issue is that the VS 2012 Graphics Diagnostics system seems unable to capture a frame for analysis after any call to IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers.

I have checked my code for errors using the DirectX debug control panel and my device in Debug mode. The call does succeed and works as intended for WM_SIZE messages.

The odd thing is that as long my code does not call the above function, the diagnostic does seem to work just fine. The second I call it however, any attempted frame capture will hang indefinitely. This does not crash the compiler it will just say "No render target set for selected event" and "Waiting for application to render DirectX frame(1 remaining)" at the top of the GraphicsExperiment.vsglog.

I am guessing that Resizing my backbuffer is breaking some kind of internal link the Graphics Debugger needs. I am unsure of how to restore it short of having to remake my device.

I would appreciate if someone could confirm or deny that the graphics debugger works after a call to ResizeBuffers on their SwapChain. Or possibly tell me how to notify the graphics debugger of my new Render Target View.

Thanks in advance,

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi lnorri,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Just to make this issue clearly, do you mean that you are using the Visual Studio Graphics Diagnostics tools like this?

It seems that it is related to the DirectX graphics applications, if so, to help you resolve this issue, I suggest you post this issue in this forum: http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/27.aspx. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes the link you posted is what I am working with. Unfortunately the forum you suggested seems to be for the XBOX platform which runs a modified version of DX9. My question pertains specifically to DX11 which is a completely different API than DX9 and does not run on any current XBOX hardware. I tried to find a Microsoft Forum that dealt with the latest version of DirectX but could not find one. I chose this forum because my issue deals directly with the Graphics Debugger built into Visual Studio 2012.(which was primarily created to work with DX11)

If you know of any other forum that might deal with the very latest Microsoft Technologies like DX11 and VS 2012 that would be helpful. I think my issue may be a bug with the graphics debugger itself, but before I reported it I wanted to confirm it with another user.

Thank you,

• Edited by lnorri Friday, September 21, 2012 3:22 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hi lnorri,

I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Maybe this forum “DirectX 11 (Direct3D 11, Direct2D, and DirectWrite)” could help. Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, someone in that forum might be able to answer this if they are working with Visual Studio 2012.

Should I re-post the question or can you move this thread there?

Thanks,

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Hello Inorri,

best repost the question (copy & paste), to avoid having the forum finding posts in the technical post.

Thanks

Florian

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:31 AM
    Answerer