WMP doesn't see music collection on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Subject says it all... also doesn't show when I select the Windows Media Connect option under my Network item in Windows Explorer.

Don't think it has anything to do with my WHS as two Media Centers see the folders automatically and the WHS shows up in iTunes as a shared library... it also shows up in the Zune client.

-AC
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:31 PM

Answers

• Ok, during the beta, and also with the RC I had to reboot my WHS after enabling the sharing to get it seen.

Have you done that?

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:03 PM

All replies

• Andrew, have you turned on media sharing in the Windows Home Server console? The media sharing feature uses Windows Media Connect, and is separate from the ability of some software to access the folders on the server.

And I take it that you either have an HP MediaSmart Server, or have installed Firefly yourself in order to stream your iTunes music? Once again, that's not the same as media sharing in the console.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:53 PM
  • It is an HP MediaSmart Server... I haven't installed anything and it is set to let the guest account see everything. Two Windows Media Centers (one XP, one Vista) can see the library automatically... so can iTunes on Vista and a MacBook (with no extra installs other than iTunes). WHen I look under the NETWORK node in Windows Explorer, I see all my comptuers, plus the extra Windows Media Connect DMA entry for my WHS... yet when I double click that (or just go into WMP independently), it doesn't see my library. It did at one point, but now it doesn't.

-AC

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:29 PM
  • As Ken said, have you enabled Media Sharing in the WHS Console? By default it is not enabled.

Once you enable this you should be able to see your music in WMP.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Appologies... yes, Media Sharing is turned on for all pictures, vidoes and music.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Ok, during the beta, and also with the RC I had to reboot my WHS after enabling the sharing to get it seen.

Have you done that?

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Sheesh... when all else fails reboot. I just added 2nd drive to the box thus I shut it down to do so and reboot. Now it's showing up. Go figure... WMP doesn't see it, but everything else can see it.

Thanks Andrew!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:13 PM
  • yep - that old reboot option. You could also have diasabled and then reenabled sharing but a reboot seems better :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:17 PM