CRM 2013 On-Premise - Deploying customizations best practices / precautions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are about to deploy a new module in our Production environment which consists of both new entities, option sets, web resources (that do not yet exist in Production) and updates to existing entities, option sets, web resources (that already exist in Production and are also in use by end users). There are 100+ different components in total which we have packed up in 15 different unmanaged solutions (that's just what we have to work with) and have already successfully imported into our Test environment. I'm a little hesitant, however, to import the same into Production without having a "Plan B", in case something unexpected happens. I'm particularly worried about updating existing entities (e.g. Contact entity) where a large amount of live data resides which I'm really anxious not to alter or damage in any way.

What precautions do you normally take and what are best practices when it comes to deploying customizations? What do you do if something goes wrong? Do you manually backup customizations and data in Production beforehand? I understand there is no way to roll back customizations when imported via an unmanaged solution. I also don't fully understand what knock-on effects this could have on data and how to prevent that.

Would appreciate any insights!

Monday, July 27, 2015 3:13 PM

Answers

• Solutions can't delete data.  Period.  So that should be one weight off your shoulders.

that said, take a backup of your production database.  If the solution import fails, or doesn't do what you want it to do, restore the old database and you'll be exactly where you were before, old customizations and all.

If you want to be really secure, take a backup of the production database, restore it to another CRM instance, and do the solution upgrade against that to test, instead.  Once you're confident it did what you want, to the same to prouction.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Monday, July 27, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by viktor.j Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:17 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 4:29 PM

All replies

• Solutions can't delete data.  Period.  So that should be one weight off your shoulders.

that said, take a backup of your production database.  If the solution import fails, or doesn't do what you want it to do, restore the old database and you'll be exactly where you were before, old customizations and all.

If you want to be really secure, take a backup of the production database, restore it to another CRM instance, and do the solution upgrade against that to test, instead.  Once you're confident it did what you want, to the same to prouction.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Monday, July 27, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by viktor.j Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:17 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 4:29 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Wayne, that's a bit of a relief indeed!

With regards to taking a backup of the database, would you say that the following article accurately describes this process? (No experience at all on this side)

http://www.crmcodex.com/2012/01/how-to-backup-and-redeploy-an-organisations-database/

• Edited by viktor.j Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Yup, that should do it.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 12:15 PM
  • Super, thanks again for your help!
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:39 PM