Server domain name RRS feed

• Question

•  

I really do not fully understand what I am reading about creating a server (or is it network) domain name for remote access.  I have a domain name through Microsoft Office Live. Do I want to apply this email and website domain name to WHS in some way to enhance remote access?  Or is this domain name another animal?   I have an older Motorola router which appears not to support UPnP so I will have to wait a few paydays before this issue becomes "hot" but I am trying to research and learn all I can so the implementation of remote access will go smoothly.  Thank you all who are willing to contribute to my education..
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:48 AM

Answers

• John

Dont buy a new router just because it doesnt support UPnP. If it did support it then all that does is make the config slightly easier and quicker - if it doesnt support it, as in your case, all you have to do is forward 3 ports, which should only take you about 5 minutes to do.

As for the domain name, Microsoft give you a free Live domain name to make accessing your WHS easier - they also give you an SSL certificate to secure it. Its not an email domain its just for routing the WHS remote access.

You might find it beneficial to have a read of the Remote Access whitepaper for WHS : http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/7/2/272d14a7-eb96-4dde-a90e-3e5b4bc388af/WHS%20Technical%20Brief%20-%20Remote%20Access.pdf

Andrew

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:33 AM

All replies

• John

Dont buy a new router just because it doesnt support UPnP. If it did support it then all that does is make the config slightly easier and quicker - if it doesnt support it, as in your case, all you have to do is forward 3 ports, which should only take you about 5 minutes to do.

As for the domain name, Microsoft give you a free Live domain name to make accessing your WHS easier - they also give you an SSL certificate to secure it. Its not an email domain its just for routing the WHS remote access.

You might find it beneficial to have a read of the Remote Access whitepaper for WHS : http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/7/2/272d14a7-eb96-4dde-a90e-3e5b4bc388af/WHS%20Technical%20Brief%20-%20Remote%20Access.pdf

Andrew

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:33 AM
  •  

Thanks much Andrew, That got me one more step to connection.  My router is, after all, UPnP compatible but was disabled.  I am still not able to connect remotely, but I will do some more reading before posting again.   Thanks again, you did get me steered in the right direction.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:04 PM