Vista Home Basic and Home Premium Upgrade can't be activated on Parallels 4.0 VM from Boot Camp Partition RRS feed

• Question

• I have an i MAC and used a boot camp partition to run Vista and Office 2007. Vista started as Home Basic and then I bought an Home Premium upgrade version. This was activated on the boot camp partition with no issue. However I purchased Parallels 4.0 so I could run a VM and selected the boot camp partition. Vista was not activated so I entered the product key. A message came up to say it was already in use. I called Support and the asked me to call technical support and they told me to call Support back again. Is there a way to deactivate both the Basic and Home Premium upgrade keys and then have them reissued ? or a simpler solution ? I was able to activate Office 2007 without issue.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:25 AM

Answers

• You can reactivate your Windows Vista installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:53 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:04 PM

All replies

• You can reactivate your Windows Vista installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:53 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Yes, Carey is correct, the 'already in use' error is just Vista's way of telling you to Activate by Phone...and yes, it's a very poor error message and I have push to have it updated with better information.

Sorry for any confusion,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Thank you to Carey for your assitance in this matter. My Vista is now activated. It would be great if the message was updated. How cool would it be if the PC displayed a key pad once this message was received.

Jim
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:00 AM