outlook setup on windows mobile 6.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Good Aftrenoon
    I am not an IT professional and have an IPAQ 914c installed with wm 6.1  I wish to use outlook as this is what I use at home (small business) on my PC.  I have read lots of information in respect to Exchane servers and the like, however thi is way above my head.  Can anybody in laymans terms please explain to me how to set up oultook on my ipaq?
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:55 PM

Answers

• An Exchange account is an account associated with a server running Microsoft Exchange (or in rare cases running some other software that happens to use the Microsoft Exchange protocol, such as Gmail). I'm sure that definition sounds nebulous if not useless. But I would first suggest checking with your mail provider to see what type of mail hosting it is that they are offering.  Chances are that it is POP3 and/or IMAP and not Exchange. Hotmail uses a protocol called DeltaSync. Gmail implements IMAP and Exchange. If your current provider doesn't offer exchange hosting then you won't need to worry about the details of what it is.

I'm a little confused by your message though.  You said that your email account "is working on your IPAW but not in outlook." If you are not accessing your account through Pocket Outlook on your IPAQ then how are you accessing it?

It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Friday, January 29, 2010 5:09 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:23 PM

All replies

• The easiest way would be to set up a partnership between your iPaq and a computer that has your Exchange account setup on it. To do this you will either need to have the "Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1" installed on Vista/Windows 7 or Active Sync 4.5 on Windows XP. After this is installed connect your phone to your computer and it will prompt you about setting up a partnership.

It is possible to setup the connection without a computer, but you will need to speak to your IT support personel to get the settings for your outlook server and account. Go to Start->Programs->Active Sync then select "Menu"->"Server" (the server option may also be "Add Server Source") and you will be prompted for the information that your IT person has provided for you.

Note that in adding your Outlook account to your Windows Phone your device may be required (if IT policies on the server) to change certain settings such as automatically locking the screen after so much time of inactivity. Changes to such settings are configured by your exchange server administrator.

It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Hi Joel
    I have windows mobile device centre 6.1 installed and working, and have set upa partnership. What I do not understand is what is an exchange account?

My email account is working with outlook on my laptop, also my email account is wotking on my IPAQ but not in outlook, tehgrefoire I am still confused as to what is an exchange account.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:44 PM
  • An Exchange account is an account associated with a server running Microsoft Exchange (or in rare cases running some other software that happens to use the Microsoft Exchange protocol, such as Gmail). I'm sure that definition sounds nebulous if not useless. But I would first suggest checking with your mail provider to see what type of mail hosting it is that they are offering.  Chances are that it is POP3 and/or IMAP and not Exchange. Hotmail uses a protocol called DeltaSync. Gmail implements IMAP and Exchange. If your current provider doesn't offer exchange hosting then you won't need to worry about the details of what it is.

I'm a little confused by your message though.  You said that your email account "is working on your IPAW but not in outlook." If you are not accessing your account through Pocket Outlook on your IPAQ then how are you accessing it?

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Friday, January 29, 2010 5:09 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:23 PM