Running workflows missing after Database migration using Deployment Manager Import Organization Wizard RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Guys

Really need some help on this.

We are running CRM 4.0 in a hosted multi tenancy environment.  We have migrated our databses and CRM web server using the documented MS method using the Deployment Manager Import Organization Wizard.

When we had done this we found that workflows did not work. afetr some investigation we found that MS had released a hotfix for this issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950680

The hotfix was applied and I was hoping taht all would be OK, howevr it would appear that any existing workflows taht were running against records (i.e. sales process) are no longer there and there fore no longer running, which is a huge problem.

Upon further investigation it would also appear that all history for opportunity records has gone walkabout as well, once again a huge problem

If anyone can provide any assistance it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Allan

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Guys

We have heard back from Micorosft and tehy have a tool to fix this problem Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorkflowDataRecoveryTool.exe

We are yet to implement the fix but will know tomorrow if it has worked...

here is the blurb from MS

Before you run the Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorfklowDataRecoveryTool.exe tool, you must make a backup copy of the organization database.

To fix workflow rules for an organization that is imported before you apply the hotfix, run the Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorkflowDataRecoveryTool.exe tool at a command prompt by using a unique name of the organization. For example, you can use the following command (AdventureWorksCycle being your organization name):

Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorkflowDataRecoveryTool.exe AdventureWorksCycle

The tool reports the result when the tool finishes running.

The tool performs the following updates to the AsyncOperationBase organization database table:

• Updates the Data column to reflect the new organizationId value that is transferred to the organization after you import the organization. 

• Updates the Data column to reflect the new systemuserId value that is transferred to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM user after you import the organization. 

• Updates the Regardingobjectid column to reflect the primaryentityid value that is read from the Data column. 

• Updates the Regardingobjectid column for the "out of box system duplicate" rules. 

• Updates the Regardingobjectid column to a null value if the regardingobjecttypecode value is a null value. 

Hopefully this will work, but the important thing to remember is the Hotfix posted earlier needs to be applied BEFORE doing a migration.

I will update tomorrow

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:54 PM

All replies

• Are the workflows gone, or are they there but unpublished?  I found when I moved a database to a different CRM environment that workflows involving lookups (such as emails sent to users) needed to have all of the lookups modified before I could publish them in the new environment. 
    Friday, June 20, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Hi Joel

The workflows are still there under workflows and appear to be published, I will unpublish one and try to re publish it to see what happens, but i believe that they should be OK.

Even if  i try to run an on demand workflow nothing happens, even in the system job monitor there is no sign of it attempting to run.

very frustrating but thanks for your reply!

Allan

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:03 AM
  • I have just unplublished and republished teh workflows and all publish fine without any errors, however they still do not run!

most frustrating

thanks for any help!

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Hi Guys

We have heard back from Micorosft and tehy have a tool to fix this problem Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorkflowDataRecoveryTool.exe

We are yet to implement the fix but will know tomorrow if it has worked...

here is the blurb from MS

Before you run the Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorfklowDataRecoveryTool.exe tool, you must make a backup copy of the organization database.

To fix workflow rules for an organization that is imported before you apply the hotfix, run the Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorkflowDataRecoveryTool.exe tool at a command prompt by using a unique name of the organization. For example, you can use the following command (AdventureWorksCycle being your organization name):

Microsoft.Crm.SE.WorkflowDataRecoveryTool.exe AdventureWorksCycle

The tool reports the result when the tool finishes running.

The tool performs the following updates to the AsyncOperationBase organization database table:

• Updates the Data column to reflect the new organizationId value that is transferred to the organization after you import the organization. 

• Updates the Data column to reflect the new systemuserId value that is transferred to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM user after you import the organization. 

• Updates the Regardingobjectid column to reflect the primaryentityid value that is read from the Data column. 

• Updates the Regardingobjectid column for the "out of box system duplicate" rules. 

• Updates the Regardingobjectid column to a null value if the regardingobjecttypecode value is a null value. 

Hopefully this will work, but the important thing to remember is the Hotfix posted earlier needs to be applied BEFORE doing a migration.

I will update tomorrow

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:54 PM
  • thanks for posting an update.

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Hi Guys

The above fix from Microsoft fixed the issue and all legacy workflows returned... teh important thing to note is that teh bug fix posted earlier should be applied before any migration to avoid this situation arising!

Thanks

Al

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Trying to fix the same issue for a customer.

Where do i download this tool.

A google search does not seem to reveal any results

Regards

Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:23 PM