How to debug Sora file and check dbgview information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had read the sora manual and use "SORA Build Environment "to build the target.However,if we modify something we should build all target files,it is too complicacy. And,we couldn't debug the program,Breakpoint also doesn't help.

1.we used dot11config.exe and demod11.exe to a debugger,which can help us debug them. However, how can I debug another files,Please give us a method.

2.we use Dbgview as a tool for debug,but nothing display. I don't konw how to set Dbgview and how to use it.

Thanks a lot.

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Fred,

We fully understand your problem, and we know kernal development and debugging is not trivial. In order to make Sora development easier, we have invented UMX (User Mode eXtension), with which you can development Sora in user mode. UMX has been released in Sora version 1.1. In addition, we are now working on enhancing the sample of UMX and migrating 802.11 implementation into UMX. You will see this more powerful UMX support in Sora version 1.5 soon.

Regarding general kernal development and how to use dbgview, these are general skills in Windows development. You may easily find resources to learn these skills by any channel. However, it's already out of the scope of Sora team's support.

Thanks

-Jiansong

• Marked as answer by Fred Fei Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:30 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Fred,

We fully understand your problem, and we know kernal development and debugging is not trivial. In order to make Sora development easier, we have invented UMX (User Mode eXtension), with which you can development Sora in user mode. UMX has been released in Sora version 1.1. In addition, we are now working on enhancing the sample of UMX and migrating 802.11 implementation into UMX. You will see this more powerful UMX support in Sora version 1.5 soon.

Regarding general kernal development and how to use dbgview, these are general skills in Windows development. You may easily find resources to learn these skills by any channel. However, it's already out of the scope of Sora team's support.

Thanks

-Jiansong

• Marked as answer by Fred Fei Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:30 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Thanks Jiansong,

I will try to test UMX. However,  we want to realize other 802.11 protocol, like 802.11p.

If we use UXM,we couldn't see how to realize the Physical layer and Mac layer,so that we couldn't modify the other 802.11 protocal.

Can your give me a suggestion which way we should use,(UXM or Kernal).and how to realize other 802.11protocal.

Thanks a lot.

-Fred

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

When you use DbgView, you should check 'Capture Kernel' in Capture menu to grab the messages generated by DbgPrint().

Also, I recommend to use UMX mode for making your own protocol.  It is much easier to debug, and as far as I have seen, it does not have performance issue (its performance is as good as kernel mode). 

Thanks

Sangki Yun

Monday, May 23, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi Sangki,

Your experience and observation of UMX are valuable to all the Sora users. If possible, do you mind to describe your work in details? Maybe in a separated post.

-Jiansong

Monday, May 23, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Hi Fred,

As I mentioned above, we will provide 802.11 sample in format of UMX in next (version 1.5) release, it should come in two months. Maybe you can just wait for it, and start to learn the physical layer algorithms and MAC layer state machines from the kernel version code first.

Otherwise, you can also modify the kernel version directly.

-Jiansong

Monday, May 23, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Hi Jiansong,

I made a tool that detects 802.11a packets like promiscuous mode in UMX with slight modification of demod11, and it works quite well. I am willing to open it. Let me introduce it in a separate post as soon as I am ready.

-Sangki Yun

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:27 AM