One Computer, two operating systems RRS feed

• Question

• I would like my computer to boot either Windows 7 or Windows Home Server.  The computer is only accessed using remote desktop connection.  I can order the boot order for the hard drives in the bois, but I'm not quite sure how this works.

My present idea is to control power to the drives.  More precisely, I would use a switch to selectively power the drive assoicated with WHS (including all other drives in the D: array) or the W7 drive.  I assume the powered drive would be the boot drive.

In the alternative, I am thinking about only swithing power to the WHS drives on and off, and setting the bios to look first for the drive having the WHS and then when not found (not powered) moving on to the W7 drive.

Two questions.  Will either approach work?  Is there a better way?  Thanks.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, December 17, 2010 4:37 PM installation question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:16 PM

All replies

• Dual booting your computer with Windows Home Server an another operating system is unsupported and not recommended. If you install Windows Home Server, it will format all drives visible to it as part of installaiton, and you will be unable to back up your Windows 7 installation to Windows Home Server if you choose to install Windows 7 after Windows Home Server.

If you really need to consolidate onto a single hardware platform, a better option would be to install Windows 7, then use a virtualization tool such as VMWare Server to allow you to run a "virtual" Windows Home Server instance. This is also unsupported, but a number of users have had good success with this method.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Thanks, I think I have read some of your posts.

I am not trying to dual boot, both operating systems at the same time.  I am trying to boot one or the other.  My plan was to do that by controlling power.  So in the case of WHS having two or more drives in the D: drive array, I would not power them, but power the W7 drive, or visa versa.  Guess I'm looking for confirmation that this a workable solution.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:48 PM
  • It might work, it might not. It depends on your skill as an electronics technician and on your skill as a system builder.

Overall, cutting power leads, soldering switches, etc. is probably not a great idea...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:59 PM