The operation cannot be completed at this time....perhaps never.... RRS feed

• Question

• Win XP SP3

I connect to /MyServer:55000 and click Download now

I save the file then run

I have to click Find My server manually - I type in the server name

The software is downloaded from the server and dsiplays Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard..

I click Repair install...and get The installshiled Wizard has succ installed MediaSmart Server 2.5 click finish

Then I get Welcome to the Windows Hoe Server Connector! I click Next

Installation appears to continue and I enter the Server password and get the error message:

The operation cannot be completed at this time.

Please try again later. If the problem persists please contact Product Support

Please wait while Windows configures Windows Home Server Connector ..gathering information..

Then nothing..

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,
    Very sorry for the delay in responding to your prompt reply.

(As I recall...) Yes, I could ping by IP and name and I don't think I made any changes other then attempt to add another client...but that's along time ago now.

By the time I posted my question I was so frustrated I was about to return the box to the vendor so..... I just reinstalled the server software and I was then able to reinstall the Connector on all my clients.

I'm now, on the advice of McAfee tech support, about to reinstall the McAfee Total Protection Service. Maintaining this "labor-saving device" is turning out to be a full-time job ;-)

Thanks again.

-M-
    PS I like your by-line.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• Addendum:

I had the server and one client connected for a couple of days then the connection died.

The WHS Connector Troubleshooter Scan reports

• Cannot connect to the server transport
    • Cannot connect to the server backup
    • The version of the Connector software does match the version of Windows Home Server
    • UPnP discovery failed
    • Name resolution failed
    • Windows Home Server Beacon discovery failed

I have not idea how to follow up on these tips.
    • Any help will be much appreciated.

-m-
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:49 PM
  • It sounds like you have either a name resolution or a network issue. Can you ping your server by name, from a client computer? By IP address? Did you recently make any changes to your home network?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Hi Ken,
    Very sorry for the delay in responding to your prompt reply.

(As I recall...) Yes, I could ping by IP and name and I don't think I made any changes other then attempt to add another client...but that's along time ago now.

By the time I posted my question I was so frustrated I was about to return the box to the vendor so..... I just reinstalled the server software and I was then able to reinstall the Connector on all my clients.

I'm now, on the advice of McAfee tech support, about to reinstall the McAfee Total Protection Service. Maintaining this "labor-saving device" is turning out to be a full-time job ;-)

Thanks again.

-M-
    PS I like your by-line.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:57 PM