Interaction with Norton Ghost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have been using WHS 2011 since it came out with major major problems. 

However I also have been using Norton Ghost as a second backup (never have too many backups).  My laptop crashed a few months ago and in fact both backups worked. 

Recently I have been having problems with Ghost doing its backup.  Norton fingers WHS, as using the same backup engine (theirs), but I have the same set up working on my wife's computer (2 back-ups).  I think WHS would use independent software for the backup?

Any insights as to this?  Anyone else running two backups? 

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:50 PM

All replies

• fMost modern backup tools include VSS as part of a backup strategy; it allows a consistent "point in time" disk state to be backed up. As such, it's entirely possible that Ghost and Windows Home Server backup are, in some fashion, interfering with each other.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Indeed, if WHS and Ghost have a collision in their backup time frames, one or even both will fail. You can only attempt to configure different backup times, if you wish to use both.

I also remember that I had to troubleshoot once a failing WHS client backup because Ghost uninstall left some remains in the registry, causing VSS to fail. So they definitively interfer.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:23 AM